60g cube

impur

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt, i still need to restock my beer fridge. Haven't gotten to PC yet, i'll head there tonight i think to check to see if they have that beer Mike.

Thanks for the info Joel. I'll definately look into pure black satin. Hopefully i don't have to use a bunch of filler, but i'm a novice woodworker so we'll just have to see. (laugh)

Would love to do a beer run but Eugene is to far for me(laugh)

What kind of wood is the veneer going to be made out of? I have a oak stand and hate the golden oak color so I sanded all the finish off of it and stained it with some minwax black. The trick was to let it sit on there and not wipe it off as the directions stated. I let it sit on there for hours then lightly wiped it in streaks and let it dry. The stand is almost black but has light spots of wood grain showing through. After it dried got a wipe on poly finish and put about 8 coats on it with 00 steel whool in between coats. It took almost a whol weekend of playing around with it but the results were worth it. My wife actually said it looked good and she is picky:D

Would love to do a beer run but Eugene is to far for me(laugh)

What kind of wood is the veneer going to be made out of? I have a oak stand and hate the golden oak color so I sanded all the finish off of it and stained it with some minwax black. The trick was to let it sit on there and not wipe it off as the directions stated. I let it sit on there for hours then lightly wiped it in streaks and let it dry. The stand is almost black but has light spots of wood grain showing through. After it dried got a wipe on poly finish and put about 8 coats on it with 00 steel whool in between coats. It took almost a whol weekend of playing around with it but the results were worth it. My wife actually said it looked good and she is picky:D

Uhem. Pics??? Come on man don't leave me hanging here. (laugh)

Looking good, Miles!

And another vote on a 250w MH with actinics! That's what I have on mine, and with a/c and a fan, the temp stays reasonable during the summer.

Right now, with temp 69 F inside, and the fan going when the MH is on, tank temp stays just above 80F.

Some oil-based primer like Kilz would be best. Or a marine grade paint would be better.

They do make a water-based Kilz that will do a good job and be easier to clean up but oil-based is just that much better. Either will work. I used the water-based on a project because I had some around... worked fine no problems.

You don't have lights in your house? (laugh) (wife)

Actually where the tank is no. It is in the living room along with 500 sf of flooring and a few pcs of furniture waiting for the house to be doneDOH! Trust me not a happy houshold right now. Am trying to get hte tank tore down and into the garage for the time being. Will work on the pics but like I said it is dark when I get home.

Ahh i understand now.

Joel not too sure yet. I definately want a darker finish. Just not sure if i want to be able to see the wood grain or have it match my kitchen and countertops.

I plan to get a hand planer and get rid of any uneven joints then paint it with an oil-based sealer or something to seal it.

Miles,

What type off wood are you looking to cover it with? I noticed you were asking about paint is that for just the frame?

On a side note also took a pic tonight of the stand but with the flash it looks brown and it is not. So am going to pull the door off and take one outside and post it for you. To many beers:D tonight plus it is dark out. Will let you know;)