Micro bubbles!!!! Argh!

kuda

Our tank is plagued with microbubbles. We have had the tank for over a year and a half and have always had the problem off and on. We have pretty much ignored the problem, but since we moved six monthes ago, our tank has also really liked to grow hair algae...

This used to be fun, now it is just a game of pulling weeds and trying to keep things alive, not watching them grow. No fun anymore! I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun to prevent or cure the algae: (water changes, phosphate reactor, turning down lights and feeding, scubbing, pulling) and still the algae is winning the war.

Microbubbles are clinging to everything. I thought that maybe that is the root of the algae issue and can not find the source of the microbubble problem. I have all return lines (phosphate reactor, calcium reactor, overflow, chiller, skimmer) flowing into a sock to try to alleviate the problem without success. Help! I am ready to throw it all out the window!DOH!(nutty)

From what I understand, microbubbles are not bad in and of themselves. They are not aesthetically pleasing to have in a display tank. Most people want to focus on their livestock, not look at bubbles floating around. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

dsoz

According to this article, it is a myth that they are a problem:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/eb/index.php

Certainly for species that live on the reef crest there is going to be lots of bubbles in the water. Also, technically if you can see them with the naked eye, they are bubbles, not micro bubbles :-).

-Darrell

Looks like the microbubble section is in part 3:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

I was going to add that maybe you have a leak in an elbow of your plumbing. Allowing air in and constantly mixing with the water. Almost like it was cavitating.... if you understand what I'm getting at.

lol. that would be airating. cavitation is only caused by a negative pressure making a vacuum bubble and collapsing violently. this is very hard on pumps and wears them out quickly. if there was a leak on the inlet side it would be airation and not as big of an issue for the pump but probably causing more problems. you are right, that is for sure, just thought i would have fun and be technical about mechanical things since i am a millwright.

LOL. guys you make me blush....(shy)

I went through a very extensive trade program in North Idaho, and have been a journeyman millwright since 2005. I am only 22 years old, so still am learning. I try to be the best I can, and people notice. My current place of employment just had a major layoff, 200 people. I was laid off, but then the same company, only corporate hired me. They like that I work hard and can build anything they ask for. Bla..Bla..Bla head getting bigger...

• 2 months later...

All I know is we had hair algea and WE bought a couple of Sea hares (Slugs) and They cleared it up. We also had the green bubbles and we bought a copper banded butterfly fish who ate them right up she also ate the tiny little nuscence feather dusters (she also ate my big ones but it was a acceptable trade off.) and the glass anemones. These were two of my best purcheses.