Cheapskate?

andy

Cheapskate?  

1. 1.

• Keep it. Waste not, want not.
    • Toss it. I'm gonna risk contaminating a $25 kit to save a few pennies?
    • Meh. I never test and *my* tank looks fine ;)

Every time I test Ca or Alk, I end up squirting the remaining reagent out of the syringe and down the sink. With the cost of these kits, I got to thinking that squirting the remainder away was a bit wasteful... of course, I'm also concerned about contaminating the reagent bottle by squirting 'used' reagent back in.

What do you all do?

Guest Mbeef61

i just usually toss it... the fact that either it could contaminate it..is a good point....along with the fact that usually the things you are left with you will be left with again when the next kit it up so why stockpile one reagant....

I toss... and don't listen to Jay. If the corals look crabby he tells me to check the water parameters. He hates to test the water!

I used to keep until I got a new Salifert kit and they changed the formula a bit. I realized this after I did the test and then read the instructions on the new kit stating not to use the old reagent with the new kit. I was raised by a man, what can I say? Directions? Bah! (laugh)

Better safe than to save pennies... I chuck it! ;)

Depends, some test will allow you to do a half test so if you need 4ml, you can do 2ml, but you still need to use the full dose of regent, so if you don't save there is no point in doing the half solution do to you will still run out of the last regent just as quick. Therefor I save it. And contamination would be difficult due to nothing is used in that tube other than the regent you use.. hope that made since.

I save it, but I always use the same syringe with the same reagent. I test 2-3 times a day so I want to save it, the reagent is always what runs out first too,,,

Although like Spayne said, I dont mix reagents with new test kits, I only save the left overs after doing a test.