10g nano

cgrant

Hello, this is my first post to this sight. I have been in the SW hobby for a little over two years now. I have a 80g mixed reef at home that was my first SW tank. I have a 10g FW tank at the office that I decided to convert to a nano reef. I have reused the HOB replacing the filter material with cheato. Ihave also for the time being reused the heater but plan on going woth a more discreet one in the future. I have added a piece of live rock from my home tank and a piece of dry rock I had lying around. I also added some dry sand I got from Garrett (thank you) and a little live sand from my 80g toe seed the sand. Here are some photos ....

Clean tank

IMG00099.jpg

painting back

IMG00100.jpg

ready to set up

IMG00101.jpg

IMG00102.jpg

Today

IMG00105.jpg

Any input would be great. I am currently looking for a light to fit this preferably PC. I won't be stocking untill I get some lights so I hope to find something soon. Water perams seem good. I have not experienced the cycle yet but will give a week or so after I get some lights on before I add any livestock.

Oh ya, preliminary stocking plans:D.

Panda Goby

Hector's Goby

Scarlet hermit crab

sexy shrimp

mushrooms

zoa's

Maybe some LPS

zoanthids and ricordia ftw.looking good any plans for a skimmer of some sort? i used to run a 5 gallon nano and even with only a few corals and 1 fish it needed a skimmer. one of the small surface skimmers would be good or they even make nano skimmers. and nano koralias. a shrimp would look cool in there too. keep us updated we love pics(rock2). welcome aboard friend

I have been trying to decide to skim or not to skim. Some research I have done says that weekly water changes are the way to go with nano tanks. One source states that skimming takes many vital nutrients from the water as well as the bad stuff. I think I will try to avoid skimming but if I can't keep the water perams stable I will look into a skimmer.

I got a 24" Current orbit 2x65 watt fixture off e-bay yesterday(clap). Can't wait to get it set up. I will put up some more pics when I get it.

Good looking so far(rock2) As far as a skimmer not really needed if you do weekly wc. My sons 12AP had 4 fish 3 shrimp and no skimmer. I just did about a 50% water change every weekend. There were times I missed(whistle) but all in all worked out really good.

As for the heater I have a really small submersable one in my HOB filter in my mantis tank. It seems to work well but it is only about 3 to 4 gallons. Good luck and welcome to the reef world:D

Good looking so far(rock2) As far as a skimmer not really needed if you do weekly wc. My sons 12AP had 4 fish 3 shrimp and no skimmer. I just did about a 50% water change every weekend. There were times I missed(whistle) but all in all worked out really good.

As for the heater I have a really small submersable one in my HOB filter in my mantis tank. It seems to work well but it is only about 3 to 4 gallons. Good luck and welcome to the reef world:D

The HOB filter was what I was thinking about for the heater but I need a larger one. What brand/type of heater are you using?

Yeah what he said^^^^ I think it is a marinland as they are made for small tanks. It just barely fits in the hob filter. But the tank stays at about 76 degrees all the time so works for me.

And on another note the stealth heater is great for a 10 gallon. I ean a small QT tank and used a little stealth and never had a problem. I did not have to hide it so it was not a big deal.

Pickup an AC110 HOB filter. It has a huge compartment. I used to have a 10gal nano and used that filter as a fuge and also stuck my heater in there. My topoff went into it, i dosed into it. Just a great addition to a small tank like this.

Here is a pic of my old nano. Was my 1st SW tank ever!!

PA060015.jpg

PB190003.jpg

The light is a 24" current orbit dual 65w. I got it off e-bay for $47.90 including shipping!(rock2) Might be a little overkill but I couldn't pass it up. The down side is the led lunar lights are not working. The power cord seems to be cut. Hope I can fix this sometime in the future. If anyone knows anything about the LEDs and/or these fixtures some info would be appreciated.

The rock in question came out of my 80G and not only covered in Coraline but has many hitchhikers so I am getting some good stuff in there. I think I might have to get a couple snails and a scarlet hermit or two to start things off.

would love to see pics of the 80 gallon

I have some at home I will try to put on later. Not very good because my camara is an old 3 pixel point and shoot. The pictures of the 10G are all from my crackberry. I think it takes better pictures(not really but close).