Sign in to follow this  
deans7269

Amonia rising. Corals in danger!

75 gallon 1 2spot goby two clown fish and 1 six line wrasse. 5 hermit crabs small and 10 snails. tank is two months old. About six corals

I just changed 1/3 of the water. What else can I do? Did I add to many snails and crabs? If I take out the snails and the crabs will that help bring back my natural tank cycle?

if your still having an issue you could pick up some amquel or if your in my neck of the woods i've got a big tote of chloram-x i would be happy to give you some! both are ammonia neutralizers, and temporary fixes!!

Thanks! I can get that stuff you are talking about. I took my remaining corals to my fish store. They may recover. The problem was a bad HydroMeter. Coralife read wrong. Thats what the fish store told me. My ammonia was up only a little. Nothing that should have caused the fatality of half my corals. My Pulsing Xenia Died. I put it back in the tank. Im going to wait to see if it starts moving. Im not very hopful though. Everything was growing great until my water change. The hydrometer read high salt content. So I did a water change and did not include enough salt. Thats is likely the cause. It was the last thing I did in the tank. And everything before that read good. All of my tests except for a small amount of ammonia were normal. I will let you know how things go. So far my fish show no signs of anything bad. Theyre happy as ever!!

If you need more xenia, ask me when your tank is stable and I'll give you some.

Next weekend the meeting is at my house, a perfect time to pick up some xenia. :)

dsoz

yeah those hydros are horrible ...the opposite happened to me a while back....you should hit up ebay they have refractomters for great prices....I lost a crap load of stuff but my fishies remained happy...thank the lord.

Get a refractometer. It is sooo quick to use. Hydrometers are only good for testing the battery water in a 1955 Plymouth Savoy. And get ATC on your unit (most are).

So sorry to hear of your recent events! I started with a swing arm hydrometer...didn't last long! Refractometers for sure the way to go...you can pick one up most REEF LFS in the area. Good luck with things!

Kris