A Clownfish Dedicated System

Ron Popeil

I took some pictures tonight of my clownfish dedicated system - a sort of culmination of a project i decided to take on to tackle my most favorite of all marine organisms. i replaced my 120 gallon acrylic community tank with these two glass cubes: a 60 and a 45 gallon. then plumbed them into a common sump with an attached 75 gallon refugium, and so far the system has handled itself marvelously.

a frontal view. the chrysopterus tank is on the left, the nigripes tank is on the right.

DSCF0857.jpg

here you can see the refugium off to the side, and the quality of my workmanship with the lighting and plumbing (ie those pieces of wood keep my lighting where i want them, held by the screws of the hose clamps and...well nevermind.)

DSCF0859.jpg

here are my chrysopterus. in the future this will house a large green haddoni carpet anemone, but i cant find/afford one at the moment, so some stray bubble tips have sufficed. this also could house a large purple long tenticle, if i am able to find the right kind. unfortunately, im convinced i have a dominant female and a very submissive female, as the larger one doesnt kill the smaller one, and yet the smaller fish immediately after being chased lets the larger fish know shes not a problem. they just dont get along.

DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0861.jpg

the nigripes tank is rather boring at the moment. i dont have any money to fill it with corals at the moment, nor fish for that matter. the fish do nothing but hide, and i rarely see them except during feeding. even then its incredibly quick glances. the purple magnifica ive had for over two years now, the gold tipped one is going on a year.

DSCF0866.jpg

DSCF0868.jpg

DSCF0867.jpg

and finally, two shots of my refugium and my lonely female chrysopterus. finding small juvenile white tails has proven difficult, and is a costly endeavour when i consider mail orders.

DSCF0870.jpg

DSCF0869.jpg

thanks to everyone who has helped me with this, joel for his tanks, travis for his reflectors, sean for his clownfish, and JR and Dan for emotional and physical support.

Looks great! I love that 45, it looks sooo good. Thats what I will be setting up here soon. I built the stand today. i just gotta cut out ahole for the door and put it on and ill be ready for stain. Ill get somepics tomorrow. BTW- What Seaswirls are you running? I thought about using one 3/4" on the 45. Later Ryan

thanks everyone for the compliments. ryan, im using two 3/4" sea swirls in the 45 and two 1" in the 60 gallon. i think if i was to do it again...id find a slightly larger pump than my reeflo as i dont see the amount of flow i was expecting or hoping for....maybe i will incorporate a surge system into each tank in the future, for now though, everything is doing great.

ha, sean, i have been chastized by dan frequently because of the poor quality of workmanship i have on my light support systems...i know this. one day ill get around to fixing it.

find me more blue stripes! anyone!