A few issues...

A few things going on in my 29g that I want to check in on:

1- I've started leaving the living room blinds open and the tank is getting pretty good direct sunlight from about 8AM til 9:30. My lighting is on timers as follows: 2x24" VHO actinic 10:30AM-9:30PM, 150W 20k XM MH 11:30AM-7:30PM. The tank is definitely responding to the sunlight...frogspawn starts to inflate around the time the direct light hits the tank and my toadstool is extending polyps around 8AM. My concern is that the overall photo period is too long now. I was considering having the actinics come on as the direct sunlight passes the tank at 9:30 and then the MH 1 hour later at 10:30 and shutting off around 6:30 then having the actinics shut off around 7:30.

2- Emerald crab. I got one of these guys because I like them and thought it would give some diversity to my CUC. I saw him everyday for the first couple weeks and now I havent seen him in over a week. Do they require any type of direct feeding? I only have one fish in the tank and I feed the moon crater zoas, some paly frags, frogspawn and acan 1 or 2 times a week, so there is food around. Just wondering if they have a specialized diet or i just got unlucky.

3- A hole in a piece of live rock has 4 thin black and white striped legs/tentacles sticking out of it...about half an inch long. What is this...is it good/bad...will there be more later...should I do anything about it?

4- Flatworms. I have them...lots of them. I first saw them a couple weeks ago and honestly thought they were small pieces of brown algae since I never saw detectable movement. Then i stumbled across a list of tank predators/bad guys and realized they are flatworms. I know I should get rid of them, but is this a major emergency or can a wait a few weeks til I hit the LFS again to get a treatment?

5- Bacterial bloom. I had thick strands attached to the glass and it was suggested that it is the result of a bacterial bloom. I'm not really concerned about the glass, but yesterday I saw the strands tangling up the polyps on my toadstool and that just pisses me off:p Is there anything I can do about this or will it simply pass? The tank is only 4 months old and I started with some pretty stinky live rock straight from overseas so there was a ton of nutrients in tank early on. Many 50% WCs later its testing stable at 0 nitrates and corals are all expanding/growing nicely. If this is just a step along the way to a mature reef tank I'm happy to patiently wait it out, but if its something more serious I want to be on top of it.

6- green hair algae. I have a tiny tuft of it on a piece of shroom rock. I use my fingers to pinch off as much as I can whenever I do a WC (every 2 weeks on average). It doesnt grown much more than about half an inch in that time and is not spreading. My feeling is that in time it will go away...your thoughts? And no, cooking this rock is not an option to me...it has several shrooms on it that are adding in numbers every few weeks and also has several encrusted bivalves that I'm not willing to give up at this point:)

7- red and green macro algae. A separate shroom rock has bit of bubble algae on it and some red threadlike macro algae...same issues as green hair algae. just to be clear here...the red is not slime algae/cyano...it clearly has a macro algae structure to it.

Umm, well thats probably enough for now. Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions. I was hoping to make the meeting this month, but my wife has yet again made plans for us out of town so maybe next time:)

1. I personally don't let natural light hit my tank, can't tell ya if it's good or bad.

2. Emeralds eat algae, and a lot of it. I don't know if they eat meaty foods or not. If you have algae though, I am sure he's still around. They tend to hide a lot.

3. I have tons of these, they are most likely little tiny brittle stars. They don't ever seem to get bigger then a nickel and they have proven harmless in all tanks I have heard of them in. IMO

4. Don't have an answer for ya here

5. This brings me back to number 1. I like to keep sunlight out because I always felt like it encouraged this growth.(true or not, I don't know)

6. I have/had this problem and tried many things. Sea hairs do good but in a tank that small will surely die. the emerald I had went after it, but I have heard others don't. I just got 12 red legged hermits and although they scavenge they seem to eat a fair amount of it. I am going to get another 10 or so I think. Also, you could try a product called Phosphate control by Blue Life. It is very good at getting out the phosphates. Seahorse hase lots of the hermits and the phosphate control too. If you test for phosphates you will likely show none as the hair algae consumes it to grow. If you have a sump, you should put some greens in there to also rob the hair of it's phosphates.

7. Bubble algae is annoying but the emerald should actually go after this also. if not just use your hand and pull the bubbles off. They are pretty hard so you can grab them. DON'T LET THEM POP! As for the red, if it looks like it is trapping air under it you probably have a bit of the red slime algae. Once again at seahorse they have redslime control from Blue Life. If it hasn't went completely nuts, just get as much as you can out first then turn the skimmer and UV sterilizer off and add this stuff. Mine was gone in 2 days flat when I had it. Also either add more flow or redistribute the flow so the spots where it is are hit with flow. this will help it to not get ahold on the rock as well.

Hope something here helps ya, and as always take it with a grain of salt as this is just my personal experience/opinion :) Can ya tell I like seahorse a lot??

1. I personally don't let natural light hit my tank, can't tell ya if it's good or bad.

Now i know you dont mean that, what do you think the real reefs get??? (laugh) I think the only issue you could have with natural sunlight is over heating the tank.

other then that i agree with snowpunk

DOH!I know sunlight is exactly what we are trying to imitate. What I was trying to convey I guess was that I don't let it hit the tank. The reason is that when I did long, ago I got huge algae blooms on that side only. Thats why I said cant tell ya if it's good or bad. I guess it did sound a little tarded(nutty)(clap)(drooler)... What do you expect, theres a reason I'm still reading in the noob section:p

On the emerald crab, I lost mine for a week or two and when I found him again I didn't recognize him. He had molted and was little bigger then a 50 cent piece. Now he looks like some creature out of a Godzilla movie roaming around on the rocks. (rock2)

I have the those black and white stiped legs/tenticles sticking out of a couple pieces of rock. Not sure what they are, all I ever see is them waving around in the air. I always tell my kids we have Krakens living in the rocks. (laugh) My youngest gets a kick out of it.

With the natural lighting...in just a few days I'm getting lots of green algae on the glass window side so I went back to lowering the shades every night.

The emerald crab returned and once again I'm seeing it on a daily basis.

Flatworms are gone now thanks to Salifest Flatworm exit...the recommendation is 4 drops per 5 gallons...I ended up doing 10 drops per 5 gallons because after 30 min at a lower dose there were still a few surviving. A few shrooms shrivled up pretty bad but other than that everything is fine.

Bacteria is still going strong. I'm running some quality carbon now so hopefully that will help put it in check a bit. My poor toadstool is getting all tangled up in strands of bacteria by the end of the day:(

A new issue popped up last night. I had a small frag of some zoas (4 polyps) that I had mounted about 10-12 days ago. Last night it was 1 polyp totally gone, 2 polyps that were munched on and one that was still OK. There were some big (about 6-7mm) pods grazing on the leftovers, but I cant imagine they were the original source of injury. Where I had the frag placed is the only rock that I have seen those little disfigured starfish (Asterina) on. I moved it out of the area and I'm keeping an eye on it. Has anyone know Asterina to graze on zoas before? Other than that I have no clue what the culprit is, but it has me concerned.

An options for non-jumpers? I dont have a top on the tank and I really dont care to add one. What about dottybacks? I had one before and really liked it. I've heard they can be aggressive and territorial, but the one I had before was a big chicken. I saw that they eat bristle worms...can I assume they would eat pods too? ORA has an indigo variety that looks really nice.