Blue Spot, stingray died.

OregonFish

Alright One of my Science teachers just recently bought a Blue Spot Sting ray median size, he only had it for a little over a mouth, It died On Thursday during the end the day, between 2 large pieces of live rock. He was alive during the died and he just died out of no where, he seem fine the day before, no change in eating habits or anything.

This was a very strange I thought for it to die all a sudden, the tank was in a class room setting could it be the noise from class and students, that may have stress it out and cause it to have a sudden death?

Tank Specs;

180 gallon Arcylic

2 Over flow boxes

The Reef Keeper- wetdry/protein skimmer

Gen-X pump-190 gph

Temperature: 78 Degrees

Ammonia test #1 - less than 0.0

Ammonia test #2 - <0.0

Nitrite test #1 - <0.2

Nitrite test #2 - <0.2

PH level - 7.5

photos of the aquarium.

DSC01178.jpg

DSC01179.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

also after when this problem have been solve or concluded

any recommendations on a tank occupant, that's hardy and can stand the settings of a classroom that wont get too big for a 180gallon aquarium.

Well i Hvae to agree with the rest ph at 7.5 alone could of caused the death of the ray. Now to figure out why the ph is so low! What is the Salinity? Nitrate? Is there any lighting for the tank? What is the total gph of the system?

When the problem is resolved I would reccommend maybe an agressive fish only with live rock. Like a lionfish, triggers, maybe an eel. FOWLR is great for a classroom less maintentance, less sensitive inhabitants and less money to maintain. I woud steer clear of anymore rays.