New Tank build thread.

H20cooled

Well I received my new tank today built by Aquarium Obsessed. The workmenship is amazing and I couldn't be happier. The shipping crate protected the tank perfectly and everything looks great.

So, the tank is a 130G the size is 48" long x 24" wide x 26" tall, it has the front and side with Starphire glass. It is Eurobraced and is frameless. Right now the tank is setting in my garage, the first thing that I'm going to do is create the Faux sand bed in it, this will be a lot easier to do on the ground. Then the plumbing and testing begins. I will continue to post in here as I work on it...

Here are some pics of the tank:

NewTank005.jpg

NewTank004.jpg

NewTank003.jpg

NewTank001.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel,

The faux sand bed is made with a 2 part epoxy mixture and sand, it will be removable if i need to also. I saw someone elses tank that did the samething and after a year it still looks great, most that should happen is for coraline to grow on it.

Reffin',

Nope no trim at all, just glass and sealant...

Thanx Ryan..

Does anyone know what type of foam to use under the tank and where to get it?

Thank you,

Rich

I could be wrong, but I thought you only put foam under Acrylic tanks. I have 3/4 pink insulation foam ( hard stuff ) that you buy at any home improvement store under my 240. I was under the impression that Acrylic tanks had to be fully supported and glass tanks only needed to be supported on the edges, unless it is drilled on the bottom.

Jay

Framed tanks should not have foam under them but frameless are a lot like acrylic and it is a good idea to use faom under them. As for what type, I would not recomend the rigid pink. I am using an open cell blue foam, I cannot for the life of me remember what it is called. Rich, I would recomend something that is plyable, just not to soft. I think the pink is to hard, but straight styrofoam would work great. Why don't you use what your tank was shipped on?

Shawn

Rich, I was just up in my shop and noticed that I still have some foam left from my tank. It is perfect for what you are doing. It is free if you want to come and get it. Follow the link for my location. If interested let me know.

Shawn

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=23707+SW+Mountain+Creek+Rd&city=Sherwood&state=OR&zipcode=97140

Guest Ahbrit

The foam really doesnt need to be very thick. it's only there to make sure the tank is level and counter any imperfections in the stand

i used a camping bed from GIJoes (the black foam stuff that is rediculously hard to sleep on)

Well I finally got started on my faux sand bed, I'm using a product called Glaze Coat, I mix it about 1 part glaze and 2 parts sand and pour it on to wax paper. The reason for the wax paper is that it doesn't stick to the wax paper and it keeps it from sticking to the tank. I'm going to make it into 2 pieces so i can remove it and then when I'm ready I will use silicone and sand to re-assemble it. Here are some pics:

First the Glaze Coat

NewTank016.jpg

Pics for it poured (1st half, 2nd tomorrow)

NewTank013.jpg

NewTank012.jpg

And my little mermaid that crawed into the tank.

NewTank008.jpg

Nice! I'm seriously considering the faux sandbed for my nano whenever we get around to plumbing it into the big system. I love the look of sand, but I would love the easier maintenace of a bare bottom system. One of these days I'll have that 350 gallon sump!

So when it comes time to do my "sand bed"... I'll be pestering you! (whistle)