montipora eating satfish?

coralreefaquarist

i havent added anything to my tank in a long time other than the acan from fragfest which i dont believe to be the culprit. i was checking out this amazing purpleish montipora i have in my tank yesterday and it was doing great i was so excited because it was like a half inch frag and now was like 2 inches. then today i flip on the lights and like a half inch of it is white and a piece gone. i started to get rel upset inspecting closely i saw 4 of these right on the rock withing an inch of the montipora. i had thought they wree harmless. anyone have a clue. is it just a coincidence that they were next to the frag?

link http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchstars.html i think there the asterina anomal.

any ideas

Read all of this. Look at the pics. The eggs are small. I need a magnifying glass to see them (but I am getting old).

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php

If you do have the nudibranchs, let me know I can hook you up with some potassium permanganate (like it talks about in the article) to kill off the adults and the eggs.

dsoz

The other monti 2 inches away is still perfect though.

That does not mean anything. Sometimes they completely eat one monti before migrating to the next one. Othertimes, one monti can be completely infected, and another one inches away can be unaffected (it must taste different).

dsoz

Here Dsoz, I got a picture of it today. This is what is left of my green monti. It used to be lime green. I guess I just thought it was loosing some color do to something with my tank and it would come back shortly.DOH! You can just make out little purple specks on the top. I don't know if this is it but I think it couldn't hurt to dip it. What do you think???

PS... My maroon is an attention whore!!!!:D:D

picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=133

The little white specs on it are actually sand carried over my my urchin. I have one that thinks he's an interior tank decorator. Every other day he is moving something to who knows where?!?!?!

Hard to tell, but I think that the dark spots are polyps. Nudibranchs would be white and they would be moving around like really small slugs.

I have not killed any montipora from dipping them, so I don't think that it would hurt. You would have to make it over to Oregon City to pick up some of the permanganate (for free). I will be out of town this weekend until late Sunday night. Let me know.

dsoz