Another major heat wave...

reefgeek84

The coast is supposed to be close to 90 this weekend. I beat the rush this heat wave and bought the biggest available air conditioner for the shop before everyone else heard that it was going to be hot and bought them all.

Air conditioners would probably be even cheaper except for all the wonderful people that go and buy them and then return them after it cools off. I went to Jerrys and Home Depot and there was a bunch of open box air conditioners laying around. It is just sad that people do things like that.

Yeah it was already starting to get a little busy along the coast in Florence and I have never seen so many people at Sea Lion caves. They were piled up. I made the mistake of going over last year when it was really hot over here and couldn't hardly find a place to park to go out to the beach. I will just have to settle for sitting at the shop enjoying the air conditioning.

Yeah that humidity sucks. When we were living out in Oklahoma we came up to visit for a couple of weeks in June and it was 70s and 80s the whole time we were out here. Nice and pleasant. We drove back out through Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. It was about 110 in some of the little Arizona towns we passed through but dry as a bone. It was 107 in Amarillo Texas still fairly dry. We pull in to the house it is 109 outside with about 70% humidity. My glasses fogged up when I cracked the car door open. It sucked.

Probably the worst climate change I went through was flying over to England on our way to Saudi Arabia in August. We almost couldn't leave Mildenhall in the morning because there was so much fog nice and cool. In general good old England. We landed in Saudi and cracked open the back door of the plane open and you could just feel all of the moisture get sucked out of the plane. It was only like 115-120.

Either way this weekend is going to suck.

How is everyone holding out in the heat?

I've had to throw in frozen bottles all afternoon, since our little window a/c isn't quite cutting the mustard this time.

It didn't cool off much last night, so we started out with a still fairly warm house in the morning.

Fortunately, we were prepared with lots of bottles ready in the freezer.

How is everyone holding out in the heat?

I've had to throw in frozen bottles all afternoon, since our little window a/c isn't quite cutting the mustard this time.

It didn't cool off much last night, so we started out with a still fairly warm house in the morning.

Fortunately, we were prepared with lots of bottles ready in the freezer.

id try unpluggin the heater if u havent done that yet,reduce amt of time lites are on,and also put a fan on the water surface and run it all nite ..its kind of like opening the windows at nite so u start out the next day with a cool house....this would give you a "buffer" to work with...the nites like tonite ill leave the fan on and the tank will dip down to 72f .that will give u an 8-10 degree buffer...before the poop hits the fan...hth good luck

I ran the lights for about 2-3 hours yesterday, was here from 8-12 trying to keep it cool. back again this AM at 8:30, its already 84 and I have 3 tanks at 84....

30 bags of ice yesterday, at least 40 if not 50 will be needed today.

I have a 5 ton (I think thats 100,000btu?) commercial AC unit on the way, naturaly things like that never happen in time.

It went up to 107 in our little corner today and the house is currently about 80.

Tanks are okay with frequent switching of ice bottles.

The 1 Gallon water jugs are great and last a few hours.

that will give u an 8-10 degree buffer

Are such large temp swings okay? I always thought it should not vary this much.

I have a 5 ton (I think thats 100,000btu?) commercial AC unit on the way, naturaly things like that never happen in time

I feel for you! It will probably arrive once the heat wave is over! ;)

We just got back from camping, and the tank looks really good -- we lost another Scarlett-legged Hermit (we lose at least one each heatware) but that's it. The tank temp was 83*F, and the room temp was 76*F

The new Sears AC is working great.

siskiou,

ive been doing this for years and never had a loss from these temp swings. ..i thnk the real danger is the high temps..ive seen my a couple sps look "iffy" from the heat, like their flesh was gonna RTN. but have never seen it look "iffy" from the temp swings..i think the coral rather deal with the temp swings than gettin cooked alive in your tank..

Yesterday sucked!!!

House got up to 81!! Tank got up to 84 (thank god no higher). Woke up this morning and was able to open up the house and get some cool/fresh air in. Its 70 outside right now at 5:30am. better than Saturday morning when it was 81 at 4:15am and I was off to work. Hopefully this will stop the days of 100+ tempertures. The house just gets so hot with back-to-back days of 95+. Hope everyone is dealing with this OK! AND GOOD LUCK!!

Im wishing I had a chiller now... Went and bought a large AC unit (2 ton) and went to the coast all week, the bad part is the tank had to be cooled with the ac unit nt a chiller, Im sure I will be grabbing my ankles over the ac bill. Probably $50 this month just for ac, Im thinking a chiller might be a good idea so when Im gone I can just run the chiller, course you guys with storefronts are better off with a ac unit, at least the house is nice and cold.

Depending on the size of your tank, a chiller could easily set you back over $500 + electricity. It'd take you around 10 months of use to break even at your current guess of $50 a month for the AC you have. That's like 5 years as hot as this one to just break even...