Gas - Self Serve or Full? - Poll

Tashier

Gas - Self Serve or Full? - Poll  

1. 1.

• Prefer to pump my own
    • Prefer to have it pumped for me
    • Prefer to pump my own and I live in Oregon or NJ
    • Prefer to have it pumped for me and I live in Oregon or NJ

So what do PNWMAS members think? For those out of staters that don't know pumping your own gas in Oregon and New Jersey is illegal. I've ran this poll on TRT and the overwhelming majority was for self service though voters from full service states voted in favor of full service by a tiny margin.

What does PNWMAS think?

http://selfservefororegon.ning.com/

It's not going to lower our fuel cost In OR if we where self serve Don't ever beleave that the stations are going to cut price. Where not really full serve. Oil and water never checked and if ya need water or air ya have to pay for it. Full serve is a thing of the past. There just ah pumpin and ah goin state of mind :)

I'm not at all concerned about the price going up or down with full or self in this thread. Just simply whether or not people prefer to wait inline for it to be pumped or to get out and pump it theirselves. I for one cannot stand having it pumped for me or watching cars sitting their waiting for an attendant.

I'm a self serve person. Its annoying to have to wait in addition to the dripping issues as mentioned above. 2 other recent occurrences at the pump for me....

First- Some stupid kid that insisted on sticking his hand in the car to pet my dog even after she growled at him. She's a pit mix too and looks the part. I flatly told him that if he gets bit its his own [language filter] fault and he deserves it.

Second- Some lazy punk who couldn't stand up on his own and needed to lean on the pump handle while it was in the tank.

On the flip side though these 2 individuals would most likely be on some sort of state assistance if it wasn't for full-serve so I guess it all comes out in the wash.

The lines I've seen for self-service seem slower to me, and I've pumped gas in the day. The actual pumps are also way too slow in self-service. This is so Grandma doesnt light up her evening gown while pumping and smoking a Salem.

And the oil companies need more profit? And the savings will be passed on to us....

And I've got a GSP frag that is worth $300 an inch.

Full service is much easier for our senoir citizens.

thats just what I was going to mention...... Senior Citizens.....sigh....

you like getting stuck behind them in the grocery checkout when they have 1,500 coupons, want to ensure EVERY price the computer rings is accurate, and then on top of that, insist on digging out the 97 cents balance on thier purchase instead of just pocketing the three pennies? (huh)(nutty)

Now imagine them trying to not only get the gas pump to read thier credit/debit card, get thier fuel door open, remember which side of the car its on, and then manage to pump gas without making a mess or taking all day. DOH!

I have seen a nie little old man that lives near me and uses the same station as me do two things on numerous occasions: 1st, overfill his tank and basically cause a fire hazard, and 2nd, try to exactly get it to the nearest dollar without going over. and then he has argued for a refund because he only wanted $20 of gas not $20.25. (scratch)(flame)

You would think it was the Price Is Right with how precise he tries to be. lol (naughty)

This isnt really a rant or a bashing of elderly people as I have volunteered in a senior home for people with dimensia (sp?) and alzheimer's before and truly do cherish the people, thier ethics, way of life, and morals. not to mention the awesome stories they can tell you. Just saying when its 110 degrees out or -5 degrees out I dont want to be standing in line at the pump behind them. lol :D :D

I don't buy either of the arguments presented in the last two posts. I've been in California for the last 17 years and have never run into either of the two problems you mentioned. I think old folks just find the stations that offer full serve. Pumps randomly pump faster or slower depending on where you go, they aren't set slower in self serve states. I guarantee you from 17 years experience in CA and almost the same amount of years in Oregon that I CAN pump my gas in half the time the pump jockey's do it and my gas cap is always put back on right and my car isn't a mess. You act like the weather here is so severe that you don't wanna get out and pump your gas. It rarely reaches triple digits here and barely below freezing at least in Portland so that argument is out the window. Try central CA (114 degree easy) or northern Idaho (below zero) and they all pump their gas without crying about it. I think some of you Oregonians have just grown complacent with the situation.

I don't buy either of the arguments presented in the last two posts. I've been in California for the last 17 years and have never run into either of the two problems you mentioned. I think old folks just find the stations that offer full serve. Pumps randomly pump faster or slower depending on where you go' date=' they aren't set slower in self serve states. I guarantee you from 17 years experience in CA and almost the same amount of years in Oregon that I CAN pump my gas in half the time the pump jockey's do it and my gas cap is always put back on right and my car isn't a mess. You act like the weather here is so severe that you don't wanna get out and pump your gas. It rarely reaches triple digits here and barely below freezing at least in Portland so that argument is out the window. Try central CA (114 degree easy) or northern Idaho (below zero) and they all pump their gas without crying about it. I think some of you Oregonians have just grown complacent with the situation.[/quote']I'd tend to agree with the above. I like the way we have it now but would also like the option of doing it myself. I usually don't much care about the extra 3 minutes it might take to have someone else pump the gas but if I'm in a hurry on any particular day, I'd like the option to pump the gas myself.

I've never had any problem with any of the gas jockeys incorrectly replacing the fuel cap or anything else, no gas on the paint, perhaps I'm the lucky one.

I tend to go to the same station every time, they know me and the hound and we both get biscuits ;)

James

I have had the gas cap put on incorrectly and it did cause an issue with a check engine light coming on. (while living in Oregon)

But as for the temp thing I brought that up because I DONT live in oregon currently. so the 114 temp thing I can totally relate to. Im in vegas after all.....lol (and fwiw, there are VERY FEW full serve stations here, I have yet to find 1)

I pump my own typically as I ride my motorcycle most the time, if I am driving in the car I still prefer to pump myself as they tend to never get your windshield or do the other things there suppose to do, or get busy and take forever to get back to a pump that has stopped early.

I would like the option to be able to pump my own. I don't care if other people want it pumped for them, but the wait for someone to come over and do something I have done a thousand times (grew up in Cali) and started doing when I was six, is just to much to bare sometimes.

I really don't get the reasoning behind the law.

JMO

The law was the same law that was nationwide at one time. There was no safe technology, at the time, for self service. When self-service became popular and the technology was safer Or declined because it was a time of high unemployment in the state and not a substantial savings to the consumer.

Again, I pumped gas in Ca. (and in OR) in the day. When I visited that lesser state I was surprised how SLOW the self service pumps were. Granted this was awhile ago. They may be faster now.

I might add (and no offense intended) that just because you are doing something yourself , does not make it faster. IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would be ok with full serve if they were more careful and realized that people actually care about there cars. To many times I pull in and they here me say premium, then repeat it back to me, then start the regular. Then they get pissed at me about making them stop it and start it over with premium. A few have started the pump then they lean on the car and wait for it to get done. I may not have the nicest car ever but I feel it is worth caring for. I would just rather pump it myself.

Guest LisaJill

When I moved here and found it it was all full-serve, I almost changed my mind.

I despise full serve; I'd rather pump my own gas. I hate even more that it seems some attendants are disappointed to not get tips - I don't tip for service that I'm forced to accept, are you kidding?

I have sat at an *empty* gas station for 10 minutes waiting for an attendant (who had acknowledged me) to come over and start pumping gas.

It is quite possibly one of the most irritating things about this state. I love Oregon otherwise; but every time I have to get gas, I want to move. ;)

• 4 months later...

For those of you that want to pump your own gas have you checked into the cardlock systems? Pacfic pride is one & they are a Salem based company with nation wide locations(no I do not work for them)The downfall is you do not know how much a gallon you are paying until your bill comes but it is usually close to market rate,sometimes cheaper.We use them for fueling our trucks at work & they are pretty slick.

I just moved here from CA, which is all self serve as far as I know, and I appreciate the full service. Not to mention that it does provide jobs. And I also can share the feelings when it comes to the stories you hear from people in both good and bad. JMHO. But dont get me wrong, I don't mind pumping my own gas either. I lived in Vegas for a while and you learn to cope with the heat when pumping gas.

• 1 year later...

I grew up in Texas so I am used to pumping my own gas. I prefer pumping my own gas because sometimes they can be very slow and I can be very impatient. I have pumped my own gas in oregon too but I stopped because it really freaks out the gas attendants. (Worried about fines, penalties)