Joel's Wiki Site

Chief

This is an idea we had to organize the TFT program. A wiki is a collaborative site that anyone can join and add to. If you want to participate, PM me with your email. I will invite you to join. Right now the site is viewable by all but edited only by people invited in. So come help me build the site. We could add all kinds of diy links and student activities. Also, we need to list supplies and other materials needed for the program.

PM today to help out.

site is now:

http://www.tanksforteachers.wikispaces.com

I just got the approval of ad free for the pnwmas tft wki.. Yay no ads. Take a look. Please help me start adding ideas. Dsoz add pics of the aquapod if you can. It would be cool to show people what we are doing.

I am working on a proposal for garf agrocrete anf grunge for tft. I will post it on the site for people to add to. They said they would donate 200 lbs of grunge and lots of agrocrete mix. Wanna help?

• 3 months later...

I have added 25 students to the site. They will begin instructional projects Monday. We will begin instructional videos that will be embeded. Should be fun!!!

Here are topics I plan on assigning:

Edit This Page

Introduction (One Page)

What you need to know before starting a tank: (Three Pages)

Understanding Water Testing

The Basic Parts of a Saltwater System

How to Set Up a System

Adding Livestock (Four Pages)

Hardy Classroom Saltwater Fish

What is live rock?

Easy to Keep Saltwater Invertebrates

Selecting a Saltwater Fish

Bringing the Fish To School

Long Term Success - Hint and Tips (Three Pages)

Maintenance

What to Do When School is out with your classroom tank.

An Example Teacher Saltwater Tank

• 4 weeks later...

This project is going ok. Kids are learning how to do testing and some are writing reports on different topics.

They are all members of the wiki and have taken advantage of the discussion topic section. I have to monitor it quite closely but they are doing pretty well with it.

It was an adventure to manage such a forum like place. I feel a bit like a moderator on a forum might feel sometimes. Only thing is I have salt water on my hands while moderating!!!

The movies will be starting soon. A few groups are learning imovie and how to plan a topic out. So far so good.