eugene frag party!??????

ok so i was thinking a great get together would be some kind of a frag party. not all of use now how to frag stuff(sad)i just killed 6 eagle eyes trying(sad). and it could be fun informative thing.ma bey each person who attends could bring a coral of theres tht they want to frag and the people who know more about frgging can help walk them through it. it would be a nice hands on learning experience. but we would need a location to do so.

just an idea. im tossing it out there ma bey someone wants to add to the idea or help put it into action,ma bey the idea will get shot down. but hey its here now

sooooooo........

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although i believe in getting together and doing things as a eugene group, i dont think this is the best method. we will be stressing corals moving them and cutting them up, and talking for hours, and such. there are many good sites with fragging info on them and that is a good avenue. that said, i dont know how to frag zoas, and i mostly have SPS, so you just break them. i have put several small pieces of rock next to my paly colony and will wait a few weeks for the palys to grow onto the rock. then i will just remove the rock and if i have to cut with razor.

I think downhill is right to a point. Perhaps someone in need of fragging a mature colony could have us over and show how to frag a stony, a softie, and a polyp rock. Then, if we chose to we could purchase one. This would be more responsible. Of course, people who do have frag knowledge could come with a coral already fragged to trade.

Here are some pics of the last Frag Fest that we had a couple of years ago. It was held at North Albany Middle School. Mr. S (Roger) hosted this workshop in his classroom.

DSC04604-1.jpg

DSC04605-1.jpg

DSC04606-1.jpg

DSC04629-1.jpg

DSC04636-1.jpg

DSC04631-1.jpg

You get a really good idea of all the tools we used. Snips, hammer & chisel, dremel, etc. We had a great day and everyone went home with about 10 frags.

Jay

We really do need some of these classes here in Portland

If you want help, just ask. There are many people around that have experience, and would be willing to help you your first time.

I started with cutting up mushrooms, then moved to xenia and zoas. Now I am into chopping up anything in my tank once it gets big enough. Just give me a dremmel, a screwdriver, a razor blade, and a pair of pliers. :)

Edit: I lied, I have not tried the wall-hammer that I have in my tank... yet. It only has two heads, and I want it to get bigger first.

dsoz

We had fun at last frag party, it was a real blast and everything of mine made it out in good shape. If I did it again I would go a different route for supplier of SPS but then again I don't have room for any corals.

If you want help, just ask. There are many people around that have experience, and would be willing to help you your first time.

I started with cutting up mushrooms, then moved to xenia and zoas. Now I am into chopping up anything in my tank once it gets big enough. Just give me a dremmel, a screwdriver, a razor blade, and a pair of pliers. :)

Edit: I lied, I have not tried the wall-hammer that I have in my tank... yet. It only has two heads, and I want it to get bigger first.

dsoz

Thank you Dennis, that day will come soon. For now I am learning... People said sky is unlimmit, and I am thinking all these reef system are unlimmit learning. I learn new things everyday. I think I am going (nutty) here