TFT Related Idea

tidalsculpin

I was involved in the beginnings of Tanks for Teachers and have had discussions with folks in the past and on the forum. I realize that much of the TFT organization and implementation has occurred in the Portland Metro Area and was thinking of a way to contribute from Eugene. One piece that I thought could be of assistance is an informational page for teachers via the Internet. We could include a copy of basic starting info and a web address to get things going when they get their tank.

In fact, there is a kind of web page which could be very useful for this information. It is called a wiki. Most of you must know of Wikipedia and probably Reefpedia or some other popular wiki site. The key is that they are COLLABORATIVE. This Summer I have joined Wikispaces to prepare and organize my curriculum and home communication tools for the 2008-2009 school year. In addition, my students will be adding content to the class wiki in the Fall.

My suggestion is that we begin building a PNWMAS TFT Wiki. I was thinking of adding all kinds of content to it. I can go interview fish store owners and PNWMAS members in Eugene for material and post pod casts or video casts of people in the Eugene community who understand reefkeeping. Of course, it does not just have to be me. Any one could post to the wiki who is a member, a teacher, or a student.

The best part is that Wikispaces will host the site for FREE if it is k-12 oriented, which it will be. On top of that there will be no ads on the site and we can embed oodles of picture and video content for free.

Easy to build and contribute by all.

Informative for teachers and kids.

Fun for members to be a part of.

All members with a computer and the Internet can take part.

So, should I get it going?

Suggestions for outline and framework?

Here is my class site.

http://madisonscienceplace.wikispaces.com/

Are you thinking to have this for only Eugene? If not, I would love to use it as a communication source with my upcoming classroom if I can get a tank going. I'll be in Dallas, so I'm fairly isolated, too.

Excellent idea, hope you can get 'er going. Let me know what I can do to help. I don't have wiki experience, but it is something I hoped to work with.

Are you thinking to have this for only Eugene? If not, I would love to use it as a communication source with my upcoming classroom if I can get a tank going. I'll be in Dallas, so I'm fairly isolated, too.

Excellent idea, hope you can get 'er going. Let me know what I can do to help. I don't have wiki experience, but it is something I hoped to work with.

No, I think it should be for anyone associated with PNWMAS and the TFT project ANYWHERE. I am piloting the Eugene page on my wiki to kind of get ideas about formatting. I think I titled it Eugene Fishkeeping Wiki because it seemed like a decent title. It could be retitled PNWMAS TFT Wiki if we go ahead with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joel,

Thank you for your input and idea, this is a great idea. I would like to form a committee to restructure Tanks for Teachers, because I really don't think that the best effort was put forth to organize it to meet its full potential. This is not a personal attack on anyone; it is a fact that it is very difficult to build something from the ground up if the key components are not in place first.

I have asked to see any and all documentation, outlines, written proposals and such, and I have gotten nothing. I have found that it really depends on who I speak with, as I have gotten very mixed messages and I am at the point where I can’t believe anything other then there are tanks floating around.

If we are to really get this off of the ground, several thing need to be done first.

Form a committee w/ paid members / teachers, appointed members

Write a TFT Plan

Create Documents i.e.:

Course Outline

Teachers Handbook

Application

Information Packet

This can be done, just not in the way that it was started. It is the belief of many that good planning and organization is needed before we ever leave the starting gate. The key is all in the planning, and even then some of the best plans need a tweak here and there.

If you would like my help I would be more then willing to work with you and all that are interested.

I will say, I have someone that has stepped up with equipment, supplies and support. However, I have been told that they will be no part of it until these conditions are met, because there will be names associated in this venture and continued poor planning can tarnish their name.

There is also funding in the form of grant that can be used to fund this program. It is really like going to a bank for a loan. If there is no plan, no organization, then clearly there is no money.

Thank you again

Kevin