Yet another CUC question

theJenchild

Hey folks! So my tank has finally cycled!! Woot! Now its time for the CUC, and of course my LFS doesn't have anything! They only have turbo snails, and I'm not interested in putting those monsters in my tank (its only a 15.5). Here's my concept so far, please tell me what you think....

4 nassarius

3 trochus

3 cerith

2 scarlet hermits

1 blue leg hermit

In addition, does anyone have an idea of who would have these guys currently? I'm a little wary about ordering online and would much rather pick up at a store. I can definitely make the drive to Portland on Saturday if necessary, but I don't know where to go. I'd love to head over to coral reef, but Jason is in the middle of his move and its tough to get hold of him right now. Any help is greatly appreciated!

The best thing to do is let the phone do the work for you. On Friday afternoon call Waves, Upscales, Saltwater Fantaseas, Aquaticus, and Seahorse to find out how much of your shopping list they have, and what the prices are (make sure to write it down so you don't forget). Then plan your trip.

If you drive by Oregon City, send me a PM.

dsoz

It is an old idea, but when I have a specific list of things to get for my tank, that is what I do. Then I only need to go to one store. While going to all the different stores is fun, my time and gas are worth too much to spend running all over town.

I just figured that since JenChild is coming from Corvallis that she (?) didn't want to run around town looking for 13 animals when the plan can be in place. Not to say that she should not visit each store, but she should know which stores that have the best potential for what she wants.

She should visit each of the sponsor stores to decide which ones she likes the best. There is more to a store than just the lowest price. :)

doz

More to a store than its lowest price? Tell that to a craigslist user! LOL

Im growing tired of cheap people, "value" for your money, thats what its about. Is the place you work the cheapest there is in your business? I hope not.

It is an old idea, but when I have a specific list of things to get for my tank, that is what I do. Then I only need to go to one store. While going to all the different stores is fun, my time and gas are worth too much to spend running all over town.

I just figured that since JenChild is coming from Corvallis that she (?) didn't want to run around town looking for 13 animals when the plan can be in place. Not to say that she should not visit each store, but she should know which stores that have the best potential for what she wants.

She should visit each of the sponsor stores to decide which ones she likes the best. There is more to a store than just the lowest price. :)

doz

I completely agree! I would rather pay quite a bit more for something and support a business that I feel is doing the best job instead of throwing my money into some sort of corporate scheme where they don't even know what they're selling to me. I like the support that I get by buying from a reputable shop. Seeing as I'm new at this, that is invaluable to me and more than worth the extra couple of bucks.

I will definitely make a few phone calls today. What do you guys think of the composition of my prospective CUC? Enough for a 15.5? too much? Should I get different species? Thanks again!

Benny, I will likely be coming up in the morning as I have to be back in Corvallis by 4. If you'd like to hit up some stores together, go ahead and PM me. I'll check back tonight.

Anyone else from Corvallis that wants to go up to Portland stores is welcome. I have space for 4 adults in my car. Let me know via PM!

4 nassarius

3 trochus

3 cerith

2 scarlet hermits

1 blue leg hermit

Depends on what your 15.5 looks like. If there is a lot of green algae growing, then yes this is doable. If the tank is pretty clean, then some of these will starve. If there is any HAIR ALGAE then have a few more hermits, I like the blue leg ones better than the red leg (I think they look better, but they both work).

Unless you plan on feeding just the hermits and the nassarius, then you have too many of them to start with. Once you have fish, and are feeding corals you will need them, but until then, too many (unless you feed them, which increases your bio-load and nutrient levels, which makes more algae...)

If I were you, I would look for 1 SMALL turbo. They eat their weight in algae each day (exaggeration, but close). As it grows, you could always trade it in for a smaller one.

dsoz

=When you say small' date=' how many inches is small?[/quote']

The smallest one you can find! If it is a golf ball size, RUN AWAY! I have seen them as small as a nickel, if it gets to a quarter, then I would call it medium-large. Anything over a quarter is too big for a nano tank!

dsoz

The smallest one you can find! If it is a golf ball size, RUN AWAY! I have seen them as small as a nickel, if it gets to a quarter, then I would call it medium-large. Anything over a quarter is too big for a nano tank!

dsoz

Remember (scratch)that Tennis Ball sized shell I posted in another thread? Thats what I would call "Too Freaking HUGE".(laugh)

Remember (scratch)that Tennis Ball sized shell I posted in another thread? Thats what I would call "Too Freaking HUGE".(laugh)

You're right. If it counts as live rock, then it is larger than I want to put in my tank. Can you say "frag nockers" or is it "rock nockers"????

dsoz

Alright I did it... I when out and buy 3 turbo snails and a fire shrim. But I forgot to ask Seahorse what do I feed the fire shrimp with? DOH! That's OK!!! I have friend here on PNWMAS, they will answer all my questions.... Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Cleaner shrimps (and I assume fire shrimp as well) will eat almost any food that fish will eat. Sometimes they are faster than the fish. Also, they will steal food out of the feeding tentacles of coral and anemones.

:)

dsoz

Dsoz, thanks for your info. But I am feeding my damsey with with flakes they flow on top of the water, I only feed him a few piece and he finished them all. Nothing sink down to the bottom, should I buy something for bottom feeder? if yes then can you give me couple of good food for the shrimp? Thanks. Benny

Waves (and most other fish stores) sell some kind of pellet food. I feed tetra min cyclopseeze. It looks like little red grains about 3 mm across. They float for a little bit, then sink slowly. The fish all love them, and when I had a shrimp it came out of hiding to eat the food.

If you are feeding the damsel, then the shrimp is probably picking up some of the left-overs and getting enough to eat.

dsoz