Looking for an idiot proof softy and/or LPS frag pack

jm82792

Well my tank is ready for corals,I'm wanting to go online from other

members since my fish store is super expensive for softies..

I'd like to buy a frag pack thats idiot proof and I have no preferences.

My only 2 conditions are that I'm not wanting to put much money in zoanthids

due to their ability to get diseased easily. For leathers I don't want to keep

them with LPS due to their toxins, that they secrete unless you have LPS as neighbors .

(some species are more toxic to LPS than others)

I'd love to get a pack for $50 shipped I'm hoping i'll get a good shipping rate

($20-$30) since I'm in the pacific northwest.

What makes you say that Zoas get diseased easily? Mine are nearly indestructible... I found a frag that went missing buried in substrate, it had to have been down there for a month or longer. They polyps had shrunk a fair but, but it was essentially fine.

I have just seen a good amount of threads on the "horrors" of zoa pox,zoa fungus and other things.

I don't really want to buy furan and iodine for dipping right now.. But I'd love to get a few frags I guess the chance of disease is very low and by the time I get something like that I'll have a collection of them. If I eventually have $70 into zoanthids I may aswell put some money for insurance of their health.

I'd take all that with a grain of salt. There are horror-stories for just about everything in the hobby. If you want absolutely bulletproof' date=' go for the cyano and aiptasia species tank ;)[/quote']

Come on Andy,

You know as well as I, if you try to grow cyano and aiptasia, they wont cooperate. (whistle)

But I agree. I have had, and seen some crazy zoa's that were neglected or lost, and bounced back as if you had treated them excellent all along.

I would not be too worried about zoanthids either. I have kept literally hundreds of species and have experienced zoa fungus and zoa pox, but it is not extremely common. Nudibranchs seem to be more common to me, but like anything in this hobby, they can be dealt with and fairly easily. You really cant beat the color of some zoanthids and they grow really well. As far as softies go, I would go with some green sinularia if you can find any. It is perhaps on of the coolest colored leathers you can get and is not too uncommon. If you ever get up this way I could throw you together a nice package of various zoas, lps, softies and if you get the lighting, eventually some sps. If you can, set up a quarantine tank for your new corals so that you know that they are safe before you introduce them to general population in you display.

Have a good one and dont be afraid of getting into some zoanthids/palys. They really are perhaps the coolest softies as a group that you can get!

Garrett

If anyone does end up sending you some corals, Let me know and I can throw in some potassium permanganate into the package. It is the "new" treatment for nudibranchs, both the montipora eating kind, and the zoa eating kind. That way you have the treatment if you ever end up getting nudibranchs. I feel that nudibranchs are like fleas on a dog. It is not whether you get them, it is when you get them, and how to prevent them from doing too much damage.

dsoz

Thanks dsoz :) I'll PM you when I get some zoanthids,

Garret,I'd love to come down but I can't.

I already have a PM about getting some free frags in Eugene but II can't even get that far.

For the QT tank I will do a 10 gallon sometime, but I will have to get rid of my little 10 gallon FW planted tank(nooo!,those fish are nice the tetras and the green it's so nice :jester: ) since my dad has a strict limit :(

FWIW USPS priority will get to you from portland in 1 day and shouldn't cost more than 10 bucks. I ship zoas and other corals via USPS priority all the time. You can even get free boxes at usps.com.

Thats cool :) What Id love to do si get myself to Eugen and bring $80 :D

Sometime that'll happen