Need to save my califlower coral

AmySC

I just bought this from Upscales on Sunday, wasn't sure what it should of looked like when I first bought it. but when I asked them there they said it was fairly new and if I bring it home and feed it, it should look healthier. However it seems like it's not getting any better and it is shrinking...I'm not sure what I need to do to get it healthy.

I'm afraid I"m going to have to 2nd Impur on this one. They're non-photosynthetic, so a lot harder to keep.

I know with tubastrea (sp) one feeding strategy is to take the coral out of the tank:

While still in the tank put the coral in a clean, plastic bowl. A large disposable one would work, just wash it out with vinegar first, and let it dry, make sure it doesn't smell like soap or anything.

Submerge the bowl and put the coral in, and drain some water off but make sure the coral is still covered.

This may sound crazy, but if you have any crushed garlic a tiny ( like a drop or even less ) of juice in the water should stimulate a feeding response ( mind you, this is what I remember reading, I've tried to avoid non-photosynthetic corals ). The smell is really strong, at this point add some sort of planktonic food. Like cylopeeze, or rotifers, etc. If you have something that's never been dish washed, gently stir the water every so often. let the coral sit for about 10 or 15 minutes.

DO NOT POUR THE WATER INTO THE TANK. That way lies madness, and a nitrate spike. :)

Put the coral back in the tank, in a shaded location so algae won't grow on it. If you can make it an area of high current, even better. From what I understand, you'll need to do this daily to keep it alive.

I have sun coral in my tank and I just take a 1 liter bottle that I have cut the bottom off of and put it over the coral and then shoot the food into the top of the bottle. I dont feed it alot of food and the crabs take care of whatever makes it to the sand after I remove the bottle. I generally dont target feed mine every day like this but when i feed I shoot some mysis at it or cyclopleeze with a turkey baster. Im sure it would grow faster if I would target feed it every day but its in a nano so for now, slow growing is ok for me.

Another factor other than type of foods, particle size and lighting to consider is flow rate. According to this article by Jake Adams, particle capture may shut down at too great of a flow rate, and also suffers at too low of one. Dendronepthea seems to be best able to catch food particles at a flow speed between 10-15cm/s.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/8/aafeature/view