check valves

Ron Popeil

Critter cabana out in Newberg has some also, don't know what size.

What are you going to use them for?

I've heard that they are unreliable, due to the fact that sponges and other growths can lodge in the flapper seat and not allow it to seal completely.

I've never used a check valve so take my advice with a grain of salt;)

Guest Ahbrit

i agree with Dave, and to add.....Flow will be reduced considerably

you will have to clean these every week to have piece of mind

well reduction of flow is something i dont want at all. i just wanted to decrease the amount of backflow of water from my sea swirls into my sump during a power failure. i wouldnt mind if they dont seal completely, as a trickle is better than a deluge of water. but if they cost me flow, then i cant say theyd be worth it....

thanks for the help guys.

how about alternatives? Anybody have ideas on how to reduce the backflow to the sump? IF there are not alternatives, would it not be better to have them? Also, if you were to get a 1" or even 1 1/2" check valves and plumb them into your 3/4 tubing you would loose less flow, no?

Guest Ahbrit

i agree with the point of having larger checkvalves. have a looksee at some of these things in HD or something. i believe they would still cause major turbulence in your plumbing design. turbulence = less flow

Guest Ahbrit

Everything i say is sounding negative today:

be aware with those holes. they will fill will coraline algae in time. if the hole is to small it will not compensate for the gravity of the water.

if the hole is too big, you will not be pleased

I drilled about 3/32" holes in my returns about 1/4" below the water. I don't get any coralline growing over the holes at all, but YMMV. Maybe it doesn't cover the hole because its out of the water for an hour or so each week when i do WCs. I've had this setup for 20 months or so. There is not a lot of water that comes out of the siphon hole either.

Pic for ya. The hole is in that slot on the left. Its almost to the right end of that left side slot.

P7090066.jpg