PDX Fish Guys Seminar today (7/07)

ESBlofeld

I came across a listing on craigslist, http://portland.craigslist.org/pet/178670589.html, from the PDX Fish Guys saying they're holding a seminar today at 7 p.m. Location is the Wingate Hotel at: 5900 NE Ray Cir Hillsboro. They say PNWMAS will have time to introduce ourselves. Also says there will be used tanks and some equipment.

Anyone have more details?

Yes, I will be going up for the seminar. They want me to introduce the club and answer some questions. It was a last minute deal. I really didn't even know what they we doing at the seminar, but I thought it was a good opportunity to get our name out there. Come on down if you have time. I have to work until 5pm. I am driving from Creswell, so I might me a little late, but I will try to be there by 7pm.

Jay

From their website at http://www.pdxfishguys.com

About PDX Fish Guys

The year was 2001. An aquarium hobbyist by the name of Jon Passmore decided to find a way to make the hobby pay for itself. The concept of PDX Fish Guys Rescue was created and implemented starting with an original setup of three 20 gallon aquariums and some advertising through local internet newsgroups.

The idea was to take in unwanted aquarium fish and then sell them to new homes where they would be cared for. Jon quickly became known throughout the Greater Portland area as “The PDX Fish Guy”. After establishing working relationships with local Petco and PetSmart stores the “Fish Rescue” began to take off and were soon paying for the hobby as was planned. What Jon did not realize at this time was just how successful and intriguing this business would become.

By 2003 “The PDX Fish Guy” became a mentor for many new hobbyists and the business continued to grow while still operating as only a fish rescue service. By this time Jon was taking in used aquariums and equipment and re-selling them while also adding a growing collection of aquariums used to house the constant flow of fish.

In 2004 request was growing for PDX Fish Guys to start working with Saltwater Fish. Since Saltwater fish are not as commonly discarded as freshwater fish, the only way that this would be possible would be to order the fish in. Jon acquired several distributors and began special ordering saltwater fish in for customers.

The year 2005 has been a very interesting year for PDX Fish Guys. The business is still being run from Jon’s garage which now looks more like an aquarium store. Aquarium maintenance was added to our list of services and we began obtaining contracts with various medical offices from Forest Grove to South East Portland. We now regularly special ordering fish, corals and other invertebrates in for customers while also keeping a changing selection of fish available for sale. We have added a number of supplies including test kits, power heads, cleaning tools, nets, salt mix and more.

Our most recent addition is a line of bulk dry foods for both salt and freshwater fish and an assortment of frozen foods. For more information about our products and services, visit those sections of our site.

Thank you for taking the time to learn a little about where we came from. Due to the love of the hobby and the excitement Jon has for sharing his enthusiasm he has decided to take the business to the next level and build it to where it will be his family’s primary source of income and leave the tech industry behind.

Please help us continue to grow our business by spreading the word so that we can make Jon’s dream come true and see his enthusiasm spread throughout the Portland area!

Jay

Unfortunatly, even though Jon ( pdxfishguy ) had advertised this seminar for a month, only six people showed. It was nice to meet the people that were there. I think all but Jon were freshwater enthusiasts. I was looking for an opportunity to get our name out there. Maybe next time Jon will have a better turnout. I told him to stop by and see how the club has changed. He hasn't been around for several months.

Jay