Sometimes fish prove to be pretty smart

Nyles

OK the last 4 weeks I have been trying to catch a Blue Damsel. There was 2 others I easily caught but this guy wasn't going down without a fight. I tried all of the pro's ideas to no avail. Tried the 2 liter bottle, tried netting with food in it, tried turning the light off and flushing him out, and many other ways. Finally I went down to the good old Wal-Mart and picked up a 98 cent rubbermaid cotainer (clear) drilled a hole in the back to wire some food, drilled a hole in the top and a hale near the front lower latch and rigged up a fishline rig so I could yank on it and close the tub.

It took me 4 days and he wouldn't go in, he knew there was food but wouldn't go in, I put my hand in to fix the trap (it was trying to float) and no kidding he went in just to make me mad, I moved my hand for the wire and he swam out, so I moved my hand in the tank again and sure enough he went right back in and I got him!

Finally, I was getting worried the fish was smarter than me!!!! Well I just had to post, I can finally get some fish in there without him terrorizing them.

Anyone want a Damsel? LOL (laugh)

Mandrin is loving it, hes hanging out near the top of the tank, when the lights go out Im hoping he comes down for some munchies. The pods are everywhere at night.

Sarah I need to get ahold of you, I had a couple small questions about my phyto cultures.

Well I still got the damsel, hes hangin in the refugium till tomorrow.

Now I just got to figure out what I want for fish.

Im kinda thinking about a royal gramma.

Right now I have in the 155 bowfront:

Mandrin

Lawnmower Blennie

Blue tang

Yellow tang

Pearly Jawfish

6-line wrasse

False Perc

Copperband Butterfly

Im hoping to get another tang but most the others are aggresive.

Any suggestions? My idea is 1 larger fish or 2-3 smaller fish costing under $150 total.

Glad to hear you caught it. Stinkin damsels. I had a similar experience this week. Decided to swap out my false perc. clownfish for a true perc that may have some interest in my bubble tip anemone. I had no idea how difficult that fish would be. I literally chased that thing around the 120 gal for an hour, cursing, and splashing water everywhere. I finally gave up. Tried the 2 liter bottle with food, nuthin! Finally I remembered something I read somewhere about catching a fish right after the lights come on, before their eyes have time to adjust. The next morning I had wifey grab a flashlight and wait for me to get ready. She turned the flashlight on him, and scoop- it was over. But I still had to get the other one out of the 18 gal. to make the switch. I thought there was no way it would be that easy twice. IT WAS!!!!!!! Had both fish out of their tanks in less than 4 minutes(clap). You'd think I just netted a grizzly bear, rather than a couple of 1 inch fish. It just felt really good to tell the fish "in your face, fish!!!!!!"(nutty) I may have even said something about garlic and butter in the heat of the moment.

Anthias would be cool. Or 4-5 purple firefish, or a few helfrich's firefish (but they're SPENDY).

Oh wait..... I think you need a false perc., I just happen to have one:D LOL

Later,

Bobby

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/sp/index.php

good article on removing fish,,

Ya, unfortunatly I read that but it was to no avail. When lights are out he goes directly into the liverock, If I open the hood he goes directly into the liverock.

Iended up making the rigging so the hood was closed and I could pull the trap. I should take a pic it was really a simple idea. Similar to how I hinged my t-5 lights to the hood.