Any pond people out there?

aqua-ed

I've been putting in a garden pond at my parents house for three years now and am finally ready to start giving it life. Does anyone else have themselves a pond? I'm looking for some plant life and algae eaters to get the nutrient levels down. I went to wilco and got some lettuce and hyacinth, what else would you recommend? How about fish? Would they help it "cycle" or should I wait on those?

Also, if your looking to thin some of your plant life, I may be interested in buying it off you.

Thanks!

-Lee

it will probably freeze over during the winter but koi and goldfish and others can survive it. it wont freeze solid and they will swim about underneath. good idea to go out and break up the ice for gas exchange.

When I lived in central oregon I helped people with thier pond maintenance a little bit and most of them froze during winter months. funny to see fish barely moving under ice. lol

I have a small 1000 gal pond, with mix of Koi and Shubunkins.

Water cress works very good for water clarifying. You can go to the supermarket and get it from the salad area in those little clam shells pack. Theres no roots on it , but just tuck some in around moving water and it grows like crazy. As long as it don't freeze solid the fish go to the bottom and go dormant.

PS Stay away from water Iris, I had one in a 1 gallon pot ended up weighing about 300 pounds.