wtb: overflow

ok....so I am posting this here AND in the general forum so i can get some people seeing it. I want to buy an overflow. but I want one of the ones that come in like an all glass or oceanic tank that are half circle for center-back placement. I checked with all-glass (now called aqueon) and the wont sell me one. Just wondering if anyone has one from an old setup or does anyone have a busted aquarium they can sell one out of ? has anyone seen any in a store maybe in a parts bin? needs to be at least 25" tall. Just putting out an A.P.B. for one.

Is it possible to make one' date=' or have one made? Just thinking out loud.[/quote']

yeah. why couldn't you get a piece of acrylic pipe, say 6" diameter and cut it in half length wise, and then to length, and cut slits in the top. you can adjust the water level accordingly with shallower or deeper slits.

When you say "black PVC" do you mean the kind'a-rare stuff available mostly online, or the black pipe available at HD & Lowes?

The black stuff at HD & Lowes is ABS, a different kind of plastic. ABS is only used for drain and vent applications, not under pressure. I wouldn't use ABS for aquarium uses, not because of toxicity but because it uses different glue than PVC, it looks kind'a chalky, it feels 'greasy' to me, etc.

Black PVC is just PVC (same material as the white schedule 40/20 and grey schedule 80), and can be glued with regular PVC cement. It's perfectly safe, aside from the damage it can do to your bank account.

its glass. going to be drilled either in the back near the bottom or on the bottom itself. its not tempered so im gonna drill it. want to do dual durso drains behind a half circle overflow like an oceanic. or maybe i will get some black acrylic and build a rect. box. I did that on a tank before but wasnt happy with how the teeth came out. where can i get stuff like that online?

You won't be able to glue a partial acrylic box to your glass tank, so if you go acrylic it'll have to be a full box. Not that it's a problem, I did that on my tank and it works fine -- I just drilled a matching hole in the overflow box and secured it to the back of the tank with the bulkhead.

I did teeth on mine, but next time I'd just skip them and go with a flat edge. It gives better flow and skimming, and looks better too imo. FWIW, my next tank will use this overflow scheme.

If you have a local plastics shop, check their scraps bin. The PDX TAP Plastics always has loads of perfectly sized bits of black plastic. Online, http://www.mcmaster.com/ is where I go.