Clownfish eggs

nu2reef-n

• 2 weeks later...
Is there anywhere that's a source for microalgae culture starts? Gonna be necessary to get some going to feed the larvae until they can eat the rotifers. This book recommends Nannochloris

Hi there..as a clownfish breeder, most of the algal species will work.

However, I recommend Nannochloropsis sp. A mixture of T-Iso, or just Tetraselmis will also work. The latter is used mostly for shellfish breeding and mariculture.

Best,

Ilham

DT's Phytoplankton (Regular, not Premium Blend) is a mixture of live Nannochloropsis spp.

You can try that or possibly start a culture with it. If you have rotifers, you will need to feed them phytoplankton or some other food, as the rotifers themselves have very little, if any food value.

The Premium Blend DT's should work fine for feeding purposes, although I'm not sure if a culture can be started with it.

I am trying to obtain some Nannochloropsis, Isochrysis, and Tetraselmis to start cultures again, possibly some rotifers too. If all goes well, we can all envetually have these cultures going for feeding our marine fish larvae, filter feeders, and corals. I will keep you all posted.

Nice posts.

What cultures are you looking for? If you start a culture with DT's, you will eventually get a species that will overtake the others. Straight DT's will work, of course.

Oh hmm..what species of clowns do you have spawning Nu?

Best,

Ilham

• 3 months later...
DT's Phytoplankton (Regular, not Premium Blend) is a mixture of live Nannochloropsis spp.

You can try that or possibly start a culture with it. If you have rotifers, you will need to feed them phytoplankton or some other food, as the rotifers themselves have very little, if any food value.

The Premium Blend DT's should work fine for feeding purposes, although I'm not sure if a culture can be started with it.

I am trying to obtain some Nannochloropsis, Isochrysis, and Tetraselmis to start cultures again, possibly some rotifers too. If all goes well, we can all eventually have these cultures going for feeding our marine fish larvae, filter feeders, and corals. I will keep you all posted.

I just received a delivery of Nannochloropsis, Isochrysis, and Tetraselmis phytoplankton to start cultures.

Does anyone happen to have any Guillard f/2 phytoplankton food or Phytoplankton food(actually a Guillard formula) from Florida Aqua-farms?

I still have about a half gallon of phytoplankton food(fertilizer?) that I got at a PNWMAS meeting at Krux's place 2 or 3 years ago. Hopefully it's still good, although I don't know what brand it is, or if it is possibly f/2.

Does anyone remember who gave the short talk on culturing phyto? I am curious to know what type of food/fertilizer was distributed with the Nannochloropsis cultures at that meeting?

I just received a delivery of Nannochloropsis, Isochrysis, and Tetraselmis phytoplankton to start cultures.

Does anyone happen to have any Guillard f/2 phytoplankton food or Phytoplankton food(actually a Guillard formula) from Florida Aqua-farms?

I still have about a half gallon of phytoplankton food(fertilizer?) that I got at a PNWMAS meeting at Krux's place 2 or 3 years ago. Hopefully it's still good, although I don't know what brand it is, or if it is possibly f/2.

Does anyone remember who gave the short talk on culturing phyto? I am curious to know what type of food/fertilizer was distributed with the Nannochloropsis cultures at that meeting?

I would have traded in sealed nano for a iso..... GRRR!!!! I still want some ISO so let me know! even if its a few OZ's, I will get it rippin on my own. BTW I have an extra nano disk if anyones interested.

I would have traded in sealed nano for a iso..... GRRR!!!! I still want some ISO so let me know! even if its a few OZ's' date=' I will get it rippin on my own. BTW I have an extra nano disk if anyones interested.[/quote']

The cultures I received are pure strains. Tet, Iso , & Nanno. (No DT's)

I will be glad to give you some Iso once it gets going.

Hey Nyles - do you have any Guillards f/2? What are you fertilizing your cultures with?

Let me know if you have any rotifers and copepods. I'm not sure if the rotifers I have are even viable. I should know in a couple of days.

Ya I have a few disk laying around' date=' just none of iso, thats what I would like to get a little of, I just use Miracle Grow all porpose plant food, never had a crash with it, dosae 5 ML per 2 quart as neccessary.[/quote']

thought it was 5ml per 2 quart per NEW batch? at least thats what i thought marc was saying? am i wrong? been thinkin about starting my own phyto as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Ya I have a few disk laying around' date=' just none of iso, thats what I would like to get a little of, I just use Miracle Grow all porpose plant food, never had a crash with it, dosae 5 ML per 2 quart as neccessary.[/quote']

If you will be at tomorrows meeting,I'll bring some Isochrysis to the meeting for you.

If you have some rotifers or copepods, could you bring a few to get some cultures going?

If anyone else would like some live phytoplankton (Nanno., Tet., or Iso.) to start cultures, let me know.