Opinion on lighting?

rmhuntley

I recently inherited a 21g ViaAqua tank from Keith, and am debating on which direction to go w/ lighting.

I'e got a 250w Halide setup that I can make a canopy/pendant for, and I'm getting a 4x24 T5 setup very soon. I will be keeping mostly softies, but am going to try my hand at a couple Monti Digi frags as well.

I think you would be able to keep any type of coral you want with the 250 and the T5's. Thats a lot of light for a little 21G. Maybe just run the T5's? If your just gonna do softies and such. But if ya wanna do it all go for the 250 and T5's. I mightbe concerned with the heat though from the 250 in a 21G. Later Ryan

I'd run the T5s. Less electricity usage, less heat to transfer to the tank, bulbs last twice as long, more options to get the perfect color for you. I'm becoming a big T5 fan and i don't even have any. But i will be using them on my next upgrade tank and ditching the MH.

Yeah I would stick with the T5's, the only thing you could have an issue with is shrooms, but as long as you don't overdrive the bulbs with an icecap ballast you should be fine. Remember to get the good single bulb reflectors, the Icecap SLR's are very nice.

Rich