Dinoflagellates?

siskiou

For the last couple of weeks I've had an outbreak that I suspect to be dinoflagellates in my newish 40G tank!

It's brown and covers the sand and rocks, but not in sheets, like red slime.

It looks more like dust when I blow it off the rocks, and after a day of light the air bubbles show up. By morning things look somewhat better, but not much.

My snail have really slowed down, too!

Besides raising the pH and siphoning out as much as possible and skimming really wet, is there anything else that helps with this stuff?

I've heard it can kill snails, hermits, crabs, fish...

In places, hair algae starts to grow where the brown dust really settles in.

Should I move the corals into my quarantine tank and leave the tank dark for a week?

Will the two fish, a rainford's goby and an eviota goby be okay without light?

They would be very hard to catch in all the live rock, but I'd do it if need be!

I read an ozonizer can help? Anyone here have experience with these and can confirm that?

Water changes and siphoning it off have not had much of an effect so far.

Check your phosphate levels, or pm me, I work in eugene and can bring my phosphate test in.

As Miles said on another post, make sure you incoming water is crystal clear as well. Hope you get it sorted, if its a new tank it may subside naturally (how new is newish?). Can you post your test results?

I don't have a phosphate test, but my other levels are:

SG 1.024

Temp 78 F (temp did go up to 80 when we had the really high temps last week)

pH 8.0 in the morning (working on getting it higher)

Ammo and nitrites 0

nitrates about 5

Regarding the age of the tank: my main LR went in at the end of May after curing in a tub for a few weeks. I had a little bit of already cured rock from another tank in mine for a couple of months before the main load arrived.

I'm actually thinking it might be diatoms, since it really doesn't look very "snotty" to me, more like a brown dusting. But I do get airbubbles with it at the end of the lighting period and I worry about the snails being so sluggish.

I get my water at the LFS, but don't know what their routine for changing the media on their RO/DI is.

My current salt is OceanPure. As with all of the salts, I've heard good and bad things about it.

Your tests look good, offer is available anytime (ph04 test) ph is fine and so is your temp. If it was me I would test ph04 and make sure its kept to "0" and just be patient. Make sure your skimmer is working optimally (as you stated) and your water should look clear.

None of the LFS close to me test for silicate or carry tests for it.

I'm waiting on a reply from Sean to see if he does.

I'm thinking diatoms, but my one concern is the sluggishness of my snails.

Can diatoms cause this, too?

I don't want to add more snails, only to have them slowly fade away.

And it's been a good two to three weeks already, with no sign of the brown stuff going away. More the opposite!

I've take some of the corals out and temporarily put them into a quarantine, because the zoas and GSP were being choked out by the stuff, no matter how often I blew it off and the hammer frag was looking a bit wilted. They are much happier again now.

I'm thinking my old bulbs may have had something to do with it getting started.

Now I don't dare run the T5s too long, because the diatoms love then.

I've hooked up a canister filter to filter out what I blow off the rocks and have added some carbon, too. I'm cleaning the filter floss every day. Is there anything else I could stick in there, and how often should I change the carbon under the circumstances?

Not quite. It doesn't have the slimey halo from the pictures.

When I blow it off the rocks, it just flies off like brown dust and discolors the filter media brown very quickly (washes out fairly easily).

It's not in sheets, like cyano and I can't just siphon it off the sand without taking a lot of sand with it.

My bubbles are smaller, too.

I'll try and take a picture later tonight when the bubbles appear. Did a big cleaning yesterday, but couldn't quite get it all off the sand, since I only had 5G of salt water mixed and ready. I need to get a larger container and eventually my own RO/DI, but after the recent light purchase my husband is going to blow his top if I suggest anything else in the near future! ;)

i know high nitrates can affect snails but probly wont show nitrates with the bloom your having also fluc ph can cause this test ph when lights have ben on for awhile say at least 5 hours then test in the mourning after theyve ben off all night will give you a accurate swing from day to night you dont want more then a couple points swing if any.also heat fluc can also do this combine the two can be deadly if the swing is fast.