purple urchin

lurch

I have seen regular short spined urchins...The problem with claiming it is short is really what the person considers short, if you compare spines of a "normal" urchin to a long spine, anything is short, LOL....Either way, I have not known any urchin to scratch acrylic.

Sorry to be the voice of disent; but I've personally seen that damage that urchins can do to an acrylic tank and it was not pretty. I worked for about 4 hours to get out the chew marks and they were mostly out. I had one in my 50g glass SPS tank and it started munching on my SPS, and I had another one in my softy tank and it ate the Xenia and other corals. So, use them with caution...

Sorry to be the voice of disent; but I've personally seen that damage that urchins can do to an acrylic tank and it was not pretty. I worked for about 4 hours to get out the chew marks and they were mostly out. I had one in my 50g glass SPS tank and it started munching on my SPS' date=' and I had another one in my softy tank and it ate the Xenia and other corals. So, use them with caution...[/quote']

Ok, i never thought about them munching on th glass...I was thinking about their spines scratching the glass, so excuse my ignorance.

Ok' date=' i never thought about them munching on th glass...I was thinking about their spines scratching the glass, so excuse my ignorance.[/quote']

Brandon,

The glass is to hard for them to damage, its the acrylic that you have to worry about...

Do urchins really eat corals? I thought the just picked them up to disguise themselves, kinda like a decorator crab.... thats what I was told at least. I had a tuxedo in my 45g and he did a good job of cleaning algae, picking up zoas and carrying them around the tank... stuff like that.. :)

Do urchins really eat corals? I thought the just picked them up to disguise themselves' date=' kinda like a decorator crab.... thats what I was told at least. I had a tuxedo in my 45g and he did a good job of cleaning algae, picking up zoas and carrying them around the tank... stuff like that.. :)[/quote']

Yes they do, both of the long spine ones I had ate Xenia, and would chew on the ends of my SPS. At first I thought it was something else but I saw the urchin doing it, so yes they do...