Camera Advise

drock59

I am considering buying a real camera, but I still dont want to spend a grand on a decent camera.

from my research the Nikon D40 will be good for fish tank photos as well as other stuff in my life. I know it is not top of the line but I do not think I need it. :) Any feedback on this camera or suggestions for a better, similar quality camera are welcomed. Thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was camera shopping, I used http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp to get an idea what was available. I ultimately decided on a Pentax K10D; but only after comparing it to the Nikon D80, Canon Rebel XTi, Sony A100, and Olympus E-510.

In comparison to the Nikon D40, I'd start by looking at the Pentax K100D, Pentax K110D, Samsung GX-1S, Samsung GX-10, Olympus E-300, Olympus E-330, Olympus E-410, Olympus E-500, Canon Digital Rebel XT and XTi, and Sony A100.

And what about the Nikon D40x?

Yikes, there are too many choices...

Lastly, I went in to a local camera shop to see/feel each of them in my hands and ultimately bought it locally.

Lastly' date=' I went in to a local camera shop to see/feel each of them in my hands and ultimately bought it locally.[/quote']

This is the best advice you'll get :) I'm a Nikon guy, so my advice will be biased in that direction.

Got my Kodak P880 at costco.com for a great price shipped. All i need is some dioptors to get better pics. Si recommend costco as well.

Also recommend dpreview.com. I read about so many cameras my head was spinning. I went with one that had all the options i wanted and a good price.

One thing to be careful of... make sure the camera you buy has true spot-metering capability. IIRC the lower-end Canon SLRs don't (at least the older models didn't, not sure about the current ones). I use spot metering all the time when shooting my tank... IME the wide range of exposure values (high intensity light reflecting off the substrate in the same shot as shadowy live rock) we see in reef aquaria can freak out zone and matrix metering systems.

If you think you will be perfectly content on sticking with an amature DSLR, then the d40 is probably the best option out there, the d40x and the d60 are the d40 with a bigger sensor for advertisers being able to claim more megapixels, but you will not see the difference unless you are printing about 11"x14" prints (google "do megapixles matter and you can read up on what I am talking about), which my guess is not what you will be doing.

The savings you get from going with the d40 you can put towards a good flash and a better lens, the flash will make a world of difference shooting family indoors as well as outdoors as a fill flash. Also the d40 has more room due to the lower space used for the smaller sensor offers a better flash synch speed. I mentioned getting a better lens, one I would recommend is the nikon 18-200mm walk around lens, this lens will let you get almost every type of shot you will need, but it does not have the tact sharpness that other lenses will have, but again if you are taking photos for viewing on computers or standard 4x6 prints you'll never see the difference and either will anyone looking at your photos.

Larger sensors aren't just about greater megapixel ratings. Larger sensors (particularly those used in a DSLR) lead to sharper images' date=' higher sensitivity and less noise[/quote']

I understand this and do not disagree with you at all, however the mega pixel has become an marketing game for companies, the average person is not going to use the advantage of the more mega pixels and more money spent. A person, that is just wanting to print simple 4x6 photos of the family and post pics on the internet, can do with out the extra 4 mil. mega pixels and a smaller crop sensor. However if someone is wanting to produce professional type prints, then the obvious choice is the full frame sensor.

I was simply stating that the OP would probably not notice a 300 dollar difference in their pictures, if they went with the d40 instead of the d40x or d60. That 300 bucks would be better spent on a better piece of glass and a better flash. (clap)(clap)

Ok, but that's not what you said in your previous post. You said that larger sensors allow camera manufacturers to claim more megapixels and the difference wouldn't be noticeable unless a picture is printed at 11"x14" Neither of those things are true -- quite the opposite. When shooting macro under challenging lighting conditions, a larger sensor pays off in spades... delivering a better exposed, sharper, and more detailed image with less noise. All of which allows much tighter cropping, which is very desirable in aquarium photography.

Whether the cost of the larger sensor is worth it is a decision for the buyer.

Ok, but that's not what you said in your previous post. You said that larger sensors allow camera manufacturers to claim more megapixels and the difference wouldn't be noticeable unless a picture is printed at 11"x14" Neither of those things are true -- quite the opposite. When shooting macro under challenging lighting conditions, a larger sensor pays off in spades... delivering a better exposed, sharper, and more detailed image with less noise. All of which allows much tighter cropping, which is very desirable in aquarium photography.

Whether the cost of the larger sensor is worth it is a decision for the buyer.

Sounds good...

Here is the deal that inspired me. I figure I cannot really beat the price....ebay is not even close as far as I can tell.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11243346&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=〈=en-US&s=1

Yeah, no one can touch costco's prices...I think you will be very happy with the camera. What Andy said about bigger sensors is very true, however I think you will get the results you are looking for with that camera. The 300 bucks you are saving can go towards a good tri-pod and the nikkor micro lens to get some amazing shots of the tank...Can not wait to see pics!!!!(clap)(clap)

Ya, I cannot beat the price, however, my wife can beat me for buying a 600 dollar camera(will take advise on how to convince wife too :).

I think the D40 with the two VR lenses that auto focus, unlike older lenses with the D40, will be perfect for me. I am a novice photographer and I will not be using/needing most of the advanced features that a professional photographer would use. It's all just a matter of time now.

Ya, I cannot beat the price, however, my wife can beat me for buying a 600 dollar camera(will take advise on how to convince wife too :).

I think the D40 with the two VR lenses that auto focus, unlike older lenses with the D40, will be perfect for me. I am a novice photographer and I will not be using/needing most of the advanced features that a professional photographer would use. It's all just a matter of time now.

I would try to sell her on the fact that the family pictures will be amazing and they truly will...

Yeah, you for sure need the AF-S nikon lenses. You may not use the advanced features yet, but you should play with them. Even if you never use them, your pics will be way better then a P&S. Also I would highly recommend getting a decent tri-pod (most on ebay will be just fine for your needs) and the wireless remote for taking shots of the tank.

Can not wait to see pics.

I have a decent tri-pod and I will have to look into the wireless remote.

Oregon Camera...never heard of it. I suppose I will have to check it out.

With my current camera, I have played around a lot with different settings... specifically f-stop and shutter speed. I plan to dabble and give the advanced features a try and will hopefully become more proficient.

With the lenses listed in the link, will I be able to get some decent macro shots?

I have a decent tri-pod and I will have to look into the wireless remote.

Oregon Camera...never heard of it. I suppose I will have to check it out.

With my current camera, I have played around a lot with different settings... specifically f-stop and shutter speed. I plan to dabble and give the advanced features a try and will hopefully become more proficient.

With the lenses listed in the link, will I be able to get some decent macro shots?

You will need to get manual focusing down, but you will not be able to get the super macro shots that you see on boards sometimes. However you should get some shots you are happy with. It will take some time to figure it out. If all else fails you will need to get a micro (what nikon calls macro) lens.

Macro photography is, by definition, when the image captured on the film plane (sensor in digital cameras) has a 1:1 or better size ratio to the actual item photographed -- this requires a special lens that can focus on objects very close to the camera. The Nikon branded lenses are their Micro-Nikkors. They're pretty expensive, relatively speaking (starting at around $800 and increasing rapidly); some third party macro lenses are actually quite nice (Tamrons, some Sigmas) and are much more affordable. The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens is only $400 and is a sweet lens.

However, you don't *have* to have a macro capable lens to get decent tank, coral and fish shots. Most of the shots I post up are shot with my Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5.

Here's a couple of examples...

Shot with macro gear:

dsc_9778-small.jpg

ric_mouth.jpg

Shot with "normal" gear:

micro.JPG

zoas.JPG

While the 'normal' shots are pretty nice and tight, you can see the magnification that the macro lens provides. FWIW, I don't own a macro lens yet (I'm lucky, I can borrow one from work when I get the urge).

I really don't shoot off a tripod much anymore. I use a wireless speedlight positioned to fire up into my metal halide reflectors. This gives me a lot more flexibility wrt shutter speed and aperture, and not having to deal with the tripod is really nice. Flash photography is one place that Nikon really shines -- the higher-end cameras act as masters, allowing remote wireless control and triggering of Nikon CLS speedlights (the lack of this ability is, imo, the biggest trade-off you'd be making going with one of the lower-end Nikon bodies. I can't imagine not being able to do this...). I just turn on the speedlight, put it into slave mode and prop it up in my hood... the camera does the rest.

Macro photography is, by definition, when the image captured on the film plane (sensor in digital cameras) has a 1:1 or better size ratio to the actual item photographed -- this requires a special lens that can focus on objects very close to the camera. The Nikon branded lenses are their Micro-Nikkors. They're pretty expensive, relatively speaking (starting at around $800 and increasing rapidly); some third party macro lenses are actually quite nice (Tamrons, some Sigmas) and are much more affordable. The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens is only $400 and is a sweet lens.

However, you don't *have* to have a macro capable lens to get decent tank, coral and fish shots. Most of the shots I post up are shot with my Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5.

Here's a couple of examples...

Shot with macro gear:

dsc_9778-small.jpg

ric_mouth.jpg

Shot with "normal" gear:

micro.JPG

zoas.JPG

While the 'normal' shots are pretty nice and tight, you can see the magnification that the macro lens provides. FWIW, I don't own a macro lens yet (I'm lucky, I can borrow one from work when I get the urge).

I really don't shoot off a tripod much anymore. I use a wireless speedlight positioned to fire up into my metal halide reflectors. This gives me a lot more flexibility wrt shutter speed and aperture, and not having to deal with the tripod is really nice. Flash photography is one place that Nikon really shines -- the higher-end cameras act as masters, allowing remote wireless control and triggering of Nikon CLS speedlights (the lack of this ability is, imo, the biggest trade-off you'd be making going with one of the lower-end Nikon bodies. I can't imagine not being able to do this...). I just turn on the speedlight, put it into slave mode and prop it up in my hood... the camera does the rest.

Good and accurate info...

The flash off the reflector is a very interesting idea I may have to look into.

It works pretty well for most shots, and is particularly nice for shooting fish (by allowing a higher shutter speed and not being tethered to a tripod). I find that if I'm shooting something way low in the tank, flashing straight downwards through a diffuser often gives better results. Either way, the downward flash gives a natural look and brings the subject into the foreground.

The common term is a 'macro' lens. Nikon brands their macro lenses as Micro-Nikkor since the lens line was originally started for highly detailed microfilm photography. The Nikkor name was derived from Nippon Kogaku K.K., the actual name of the Nikon company.

The two Nikon speedlights are the SB-600 and the SB-800. I have the SB-600, which is the less powerful of the two. IIRC, the SB-600 can't act as a CLS master either; my D70 can, via the pop-up flash.

You can read more about Nikon's CLS here, here and here.