Electrical Anyone?

Barelycuda

Hello All,

As some of you may know I am a licensed electrician. Being on the board of directors now I am going to try to be more of a resource to the club members. There always seems to be various questions reagarding electrical & I am hoping this thread can be used as a reference for anyone that sees the need. If you have any questions regarding circuits, loads, application, installation, feel free to fire your questions or comments off & I'll try to respond as quickly as possible.

Cuda

Okay, when wiring a small AC panel is it better to use solid core or stranded wire? I've been using solid since it is easier to fit into the little holes on the back of the sockets and switches, but recently heard that stranded is better since it will compress and give a larger contact area -- decreasing the heat created during load. True?

As long as the receptacles or switches you are using have a clamp on the sides stranded wire will work. Usually these are referred to as spec grade devices not the inexpensive residential grade devices. There aren't any plugs or switches on the market that I am aware of that you can stab stranded wire into the back of. Do not try to wrap stranded wire around the screw on the side of the device. the strands will not compress correctly & will eventually cause a loose connection which is the worst thing you can have on a device. A loose connection will cause heat, which can turn to burnt wire insulation or fire.

Cuda

Hello All,

As some of you may know I am a licensed electrician. Being on the board of directors now I am going to try to be more of a resource to the club members. There always seems to be various questions reagarding electrical & I am hoping this thread can be used as a reference for anyone that sees the need. If you have any questions regarding circuits, loads, application, installation, feel free to fire your questions or comments off & I'll try to respond as quickly as possible.

Cuda

did you say fire? (flame)