aggresive teens - can I vent?

markdadof2

OK, so I am a pretty calm and level-headed guy. I have to be - I have two children of my own and one a teenager :)

Coming home from the store tonight my wife was driving...these 4 teens on skateboards and bikes are riding in the middle of the street. We wait for them to move and in the process of doing so they notice us and do nothing. My wife tries to go around them and they come strait for the car. I get out and tell them to move. One kid decides he is MR MACHO and comes up to me and tells me to F*** Off etc. I politely tell him to move on and go home. He continues his rant and yelling and cussing. He actually starts to beg me to lay a hand on him.

Now, i am a pretty big guy and this kid is quite scrawny. This kid is obviously mentally challenged or just plain STUPID. I ask him that :) He is still begging me to punch him...I have control and simply smile and just put out my stomach a bit and start walking.

He finally got the message that I was NOT going to back down. One of the other kids dragged him away and then they fled quickly..yelling as they almost ran. My wife was on the phone with the police this whole time - but they never showed up.

SO, what would have you done? would you have TURNED YOUR BACK on these hoodlums and risked a knife in the back or stood up to them. I live in a nice neighborhood. This is sad that these kids are so bold and un-wise.

OK, back to my nano to help me calm down....maybe.

Thanks for the ear.

im young myself but agree the new generation of youths is scary. some of the temp kids they have comein to my work.....man i cant believe them i probably would of just turned around.they probably thought they could make you bump into them with the car or that they could get you frustrated enogh to hit one then theyd try to sue you or something.(scratch)crappy situation you did the right thing by not backing away. once you were out and asked if they could move they should of just moved they were looking for some trouble. who knows what coulda happend if you turned away metal skateboard trucks probably would be just as bad as a gun or knife.way to keep your cool. its nice to see that there are still people out there that can

ugg I've dealt with this before...mind you my husband and I are barly out of our teens and so it really erks me when I see people being complete morons just to be a moron....and down here in eugene/ springtucky we seem to have a extreemly high population(flame) of idiots....anyways this exact thing happened awhile ago but it was just me in the car , and I'm not very big. that day I officially broke in my horn and got very close to them with my car ....even aiming alittle(wife) when you get really close to them while laying on the horn the move(threaten). my husband gets it all the time and he really goes after them.....the thing that gets me is one day these idiots are gonna be running the world.....(scary)

Heh, listen to us... a bunch of grumpy old men/ladies "Hey you damned kids! Get off my lawn!!" (wife)

I hate getting disrespected by kids as much as the next guy, but I don't really think it's any different now than it was when our generation was spawning the young jerks. Kids rebel, it's only natural. At least *our* music didn't suck (laugh)

ugg I've dealt with this before...mind you my husband and I are barly out of our teens and so it really erks me when I see people being complete morons just to be a moron....and down here in eugene/ springtucky we seem to have a extreemly high population(flame) of idiots....anyways this exact thing happened awhile ago but it was just me in the car ' date=' and I'm not very big. that day I officially broke in my horn and got very close to them with my car ....even aiming alittle(wife) when you get really close to them while laying on the horn the move(threaten). my husband gets it all the time and he really goes after them.....the thing that gets me is one day these idiots are gonna be running the world.....(scary)[/quote']

I wouldnt be to worried about them running the country nature has its way of culling the dumb.

Oh, they were plenty close. I walked right up to the main trouble maker and just kept walking...essentially pushing him back - I told him to move or I would mow his A** over...he stood there and sure enough..stumbled back out of the street as I moved forward. LIke I said, I'm no small guy :) I just did NOT want to turn my back to them at all...that is a huge potential mistake.

I realize we were all kids at one point... but I was more afraid of my parents than the cops. seems like some parents nowadays have just lost control. maybe single mom working 2 jobs.. I don't know. I did alot of dumb things as a kid, but disrespecting an adult wasn't one of them. the punks will hit 18.. mouth off to the wrong person, be in the wrong place, ect. and it'll come back around.. Neighborhood kids???

I think the trouble with teens now day's is there desenseitized by clips they view on youtube and myspace. They don't see the consequence that can be created by doing the wrong thing. It's even tougher for parents these day. The economy is so bad, that both the mothers and fathers have to work. Many work long hours to stay ahead. The day's have haveing a parent home with the kid's are gone.This means teenagers are alone to figure out the world. Now we have this great tool for them to learn life lesson's from "the interent". Pretty scary, but that's my veiw.

Really? Something has backfired for the past 8 years then. (scratch)

Ohhh and Jeff shoots and scores!!!!

I have to agree with Shannon of the fact that while there seems to be a abundance of very ignorant, disrespectful, and mischievous teens in this generation there are even more that are absolutely amazing. More and more kids are going to college and graduating. Competition in the job market has a big impact too. You really cant just go to any ol job, have them train you, move up the ladder and be very successful anymore without some form of higher education. Later Ryan

I want to defend SOME of the youth of today.

First as a teacher, I see both the best and the worst of the bunch. There are some bad ones out there, but there are some out there that still have "old fasioned" values. There are many students that I would be very happy if they were a child of my own. I try to tell the parents of these children this whenever I encounter one at a parent/teacher conference (usually the parents of the "good" students are the ones that show up).

I also have my share of student felons, teen-parents, and gang members (I do work in Woodburn after all). So I see both the good and the bad. But the vast majority of the kids are still just kids. I don't think that they are any worse, or any better than kids in the 80's (when I was in high school). They make mistakes, do stupid things, and try to grow up way too fast, but I also made mistakes , did stupid things, and tried to grow up too fast as well. I do believe that there is hope for our future in the generation that is in high school right now.

dsoz

I want to defend SOME of the youth of today.

First as a teacher, I see both the best and the worst of the bunch. There are some bad ones out there, but there are some out there that still have "old fasioned" values. There are many students that I would be very happy if they were a child of my own. I try to tell the parents of these children this whenever I encounter one at a parent/teacher conference (usually the parents of the "good" students are the ones that show up).

I also have my share of student felons, teen-parents, and gang members (I do work in Woodburn after all). So I see both the good and the bad. But the vast majority of the kids are still just kids. I don't think that they are any worse, or any better than kids in the 80's (when I was in high school). They make mistakes, do stupid things, and try to grow up way too fast, but I also made mistakes , did stupid things, and tried to grow up too fast as well. I do believe that there is hope for our future in the generation that is in high school right now.

dsoz

(clap)

You're right - there are always going to be good kids but it's going to be the bad ones that get the attention, whether it be in the media, or on small forums like this. I doubt we'd see a thread that says "Hey, I saw some awesome teenagers today. They were volunteering for Earth Day, picking up garbage, and helping old ladies with their groceries." Not a knock on anyone, it's just that in our world negativity seems to get the most publicity.

THere are FAR more good kids than bad...I don't think anyone will debate that. It just seems that the bad kids are way worse now then 20 years ago even. I never remember disrespecting an adult when I was young..my parents actually dsciplined me so I understood authority. I never had a full time police officer at my high-school like my daugheter has. No doubt in my mind that the violent teens are MORE violent than the kids of 20 years ago. Guns are NOT a rare things in schools these days - just ask the officer that patrols your teenagers school, I have!

With that said, I am active in my church as well and I see some absolutely wonderful kids that I would love to claim as my own!