Newbie questions

markdadof2

I have been reading a few books, but have not came across the answer to a few questions. I hope someone can chime in and share some knowledge here!

I set up a 15g nano this past Saturday and so far so good. I have noticed a few things growing on the live rock and I think one is a featherduster worm. The other one I'm not sure about...I don't know how to explain it and it is too small yet to get a decent picture! The only way I can explain it is to stick your 4 fingers up and curve them a bit...that is what it looks like and it kind of spins around - like it is catching things in the water.

The other creatures are small - really small. They look like little white bugs cruising around on the rocks...what the heck may these be?

Thanks guys and gals!!

-Mark

the little white things are pods I believe ceo pod...very good alot of your tank inhabitants munch on them....certain fish like mandrins need a established tank with a large population of these to survive. congrats...your tank is establishing. as for the other thing...need a pic. you can also look up alot of stuff on different id bases..try google.

Is the curved-finger thing look like it is "grabbing"? It may be a barnicle. Little white bugs are copeopods (smaller ones) and the larger ones are amphipods (together they are known as 'pods) which are good fish food. The fish will sit and pick at the rocks for hours all day long to eat these things. That means you don't need to feed as much.

You are starting a great little tank there if you are noticing things like that.

dsoz

I just hope they don't die - the tank is not even a week old so my nitrogen cycle is just starting to kick in. My ammonia was up a bit the other night as were the nitrates. Do you guys suggest a water change so soon in the nitrogen cycle?

Thanks for the good advice everyone!

some may but you can propagate them again...its the cyle so its gonna happen but it should be fine. as for water change...yeah i did some and then get a great clean up crew before the algae sets in, oh and if your near sunlight for heavens sake put up some curtains....learned that one the hard way.lol

Feather dusters usually live through the cycle, and I had a barnicle live through my cycle as well. The problem is that the barnicle will probably starve to death because there won't be enough food for it as they eat very specific size things. I think it is phytoplankton. If you have a culture of phyto, and keep your water slightly green, you may have success.

It would cause problems with your nutrient load, so it is probably not worth the effort. Enjoy it while it is in your tank.

dsoz