Water Chemistry Experts?

180Bob

After Ryan's disscussion at our meeting on Sunday I decided to go back and read some of the water chemistry articles at Advanced Aquarist:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/3/chemistry/view

One of the things that I found most interesting about this article was one of the cited references was from Oregon State.

"Solubility of calcite in seawater solution of different magnesium concentrations at 25°C and 1 atm total pressure: a laboratory re-examination. Rushdi, Ahmed I.; Chen, Chen-Tung Arthur; Suess, Erwin. Coll. Oceanic Atomospheric Sci., Oregon State Univ., Corvallis, OR, USA. Umi (1998), 36(1), 9-22."

In fact, the author is still at OSU (http://www.coas.oregonstate.edu/index.cfm?fuseaction=faculty.detail&id=564)

I was thinking it might be interesting to invite him or maybe someone else from the oceanography dept. to speak at one of our meetings?

• Like 1

Just a lttle FYI ryan did a great job putting things into laymens terms so all can understand what he was talking about take it from me some professors dont or wont so those of you that understand all the gargin great but it may put off others that dont or like me understand but are put off by people that use big words that dont need too.So just make sure hes into the hobby so he or she can be able to relate on whats going on in closed systems.

I agree that Ryan did a great job. I just thought that someone from the local Oceanographic Department might be able to give an interesting talk on some subject that our group might be interested in. I agree that we should make sure that we find someone that is jargon free. That way I will know how to apply what he says to my 18T nano BB, where I keep mostly SPS an LPS's under MH, without VHO or PC actinics. I got rid of the PC's when I switched from a DSB to the BB. Thinking about it, we may have to explain more jargon to them than they do to us.

Ryan certainly got my wife's interested in the chemical side of our hobby flairing again. She got a masters in chemistry at OSU, if anyone wants to know the techical aspect of anything chemical you may be able to get her to figure it out. She'll certainly try.

One thing that really puzzles me is how our system can be so far from equilibrium. I understand the argument that Mg can kinetically hinder the growth of CaCO3 precipitate size. But, what I would of expected then is that one would then end up with very many micro-precipitates. One thought that I had was that in fact our systems are close to equilibrium, but our test kits are counting suspended CaCO3 micro-precipitates as free Ca++.