The new guy here!

markdadof2

I would just like to say HI and introduce myself here on the boards as the newest newbie!

I am extremely new to salt but fairly experienced with freshwater planted tanks. I have acquired a 15 gallon nano tank with PC lighting that I plan on setting up here fairly soon. I am currently reading up on how to set things up and learning that patience is one of the best ingredients to being a successful saltwater reefer (soft corals only with my lighting) :)

I am just warning you guys that I will probably have a fair amount of questions over the next few months, so be prepared :)

Also, if anyone does have a freshwater aquarium and would like some plants just let me know as I enjoy giving them out.

So, does anyone want to wager on the possibility of my freshwater tank going bye-bye and being converted to salt in the next 6 months? He he he!

Also, if anyone has frags for sale over the next 3-4 weeks I would be interested!

I look forward to learning from all of you!

-Mark

Welcome to the club. :)

You have several weeks before you even consider frags. You need rock first. Look around for a good deal. Probably $3/lb is normal, if it is $2/lb it will be gone before you get to it. :)

Then you need to cycle, which takes usually 2-3 weeks. Then a CUC (clean up crew), then after several weeks to a couple of months you will be ready for frags.

dsoz

I would just like to say HI and introduce myself here on the boards as the newest newbie!

I am extremely new to salt but fairly experienced with freshwater planted tanks. I have acquired a 15 gallon nano tank with PC lighting that I plan on setting up here fairly soon. I am currently reading up on how to set things up and learning that patience is one of the best ingredients to being a successful saltwater reefer (soft corals only with my lighting) :)

I am just warning you guys that I will probably have a fair amount of questions over the next few months, so be prepared :)

Also, if anyone does have a freshwater aquarium and would like some plants just let me know as I enjoy giving them out.

So, does anyone want to wager on the possibility of my freshwater tank going bye-bye and being converted to salt in the next 6 months? He he he!

Also, if anyone has frags for sale over the next 3-4 weeks I would be interested!

I look forward to learning from all of you!

-Mark

I'll wager 50 bucks!!! (laugh)(laugh) Once the bug bites its over, and methinks you have the bug!

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find all the info you need here, and everyone is very willing to offer up help.

yeah I'm a fresh water convert.....didnt take long at all did you just do planted tanks or did they have fish too? I'm setting up a 29 gallon for my friend in a couple weeks , a planted community tank( my plan is to have her in saltwater within the year(plotting)) so if you have any pennywart , java fern or swords or any thing you'd be willing to give a starter of I'd sure apprciate it. I dont have anything to frag right now but in a month when you'll maybe be putting things in your tank I should have something I could frag for you ...we'd just have to figure out the distance maybe meet up at a meeting. well welcome and ask your questions away I'm new too and everyone is really helpful.

Fishiefish - I always have some plants to unload. I have American Val, hygro, pennywort, dwarf sagittaria, Brazilian micro sword and possibly an amazon sword :)

It will certainly be a few weeks to a month before I am ready for any coral frags. I was in Waves tonight pricing a nice 90gallon setup. Has the addiction already started? ha ha!

Welcome Mark!

Welcome to the forum. You don't need to give up the freshwater tank... I still have one after starting my first saltwater tank 40 years ago! Unless of course you run out of room... then you will need to build a fish house.(fish):D

If I prune back my Amazon Swords, I might have some room for a few plants in my 55 fw planted.

Looks like there's getting to be a few of us in the Tigard/Beaverton area. We are still working on having a "Meet and Greet" somewhere in this area. http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/vbgooglemapme.php

Fishiefish - I always have some plants to unload. I have American Val, hygro, pennywort, dwarf sagittaria, Brazilian micro sword and possibly an amazon sword :)

It will certainly be a few weeks to a month before I am ready for any coral frags. I was in Waves tonight pricing a nice 90gallon setup. Has the addiction already started? ha ha!

ha addiction? I dont know if that even does it justice(scary) I think I scare my husband when we pass a fish store. I tell him its only the begining. he's starting to get it though...I hope(threaten)

algae. Lots and lots of algae. I have hair algae, turf algae, bubble algae... When those are gone, they will scavange food that falls past the fish.

I hear when they get hungry, they may start to nibble on zoa polyps... There is no danger for that to happen in my tank for a loooooong time. :)

dsoz