Annual PNWMAS Summer BBQ 2008

JManrow

Hey! It's almost Summer!(yahoo)

Our Annual PNWMAS BBQ is only 4 months away on Sunday, August 31st, 2008 from 12:00 Noon to 3:00PM.

It will be at Cook Park in Tigard, Oregon. Picnic area #3 near the riverfront.

It was originally planned for the 17th, but someone had previously reserved the entire park!

Last year's BBQ was great... you won't want to miss this year's either! More to be posted on activities soon!

Cook Park is located south of Durham Road at the end of 92nd Avenue near Tigard High School

(17005 SW 92nd Avenue)

- Directions/Map to Cook Park http://www.ci.tigard.or.us/community/parks/directions_to_cook_park.asp

http://www.ci.tigard.or.us/community/parks/map_to_cook_park.asp

http://www.ci.tigard.or.us/community/parks/docs/cook_park_map.pdf

• 2 months later...
If anyone from Corvallis area wants to go' date=' I'd love to drive up and it'd be nice to carpool. I can fit 4 adults comfortably in my car. Any takers, just PM me![/quote']

Thanks for carpooling! This is definitely the way to go.

There is no reason to let high gas prices keep us from going to our meetings and events!

If you would like to share a ride, or looking for one, post in the Ride Share section of the PNWMAS website. http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Sharing the ride will save money and make it a fun trip!

Hey, I was just thinking... Kevinmc has a commercial drivers license... all we need is a bus! :D

onthebus.jpg

Thanks for carpooling! This is definitely the way to go.

There is no reason to let high gas prices keep us from going to our meetings and events!

If you would like to share a ride, or looking for one, post in the Ride Share section of the PNWMAS website. http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Sharing the ride will save money and make it a fun trip!

Hey, I was just thinking... Kevinmc has a commercial drivers license... all we need is a bus! :D

onthebus.jpg

WoW now thats a bus!! I'll bring the brownies!!

I did mention to John some months back that I do have a CDL w/ Passenger endorsement; and that I thought that a bus is a great idea for our club. I know that local school districts sell surplus buses for around $700.00 that is being put out of service. This is a way to promote our club and all of our sponsors; and allow us to attend other functions with other clubs or events as a whole club together.

I don't know that School Bus should be replaced with "Reefers"-"Reef Keeper's"....LOL. And John, that roof rack seating is not an approved DOT as per regulations....LOL, hands and feet insde the ride at all time, but feel free to stumble about freely as you ride the "reef"...LOL.

I would entertain this idea for many reasons, as a rolling reef would look rock-N.

Kevin

I think that is a great idea. Having such a vehichle would allow us to take other trips as well. The freshwater club has often partaken in trips to Seattle, to visit stores and such, and having a vehichle like a bus, and everyone going pitches in for fuel, would be an awesome experience.

“THE ROLLING REEF”

Most school buses have a capacity of 71-77 passengers; while larger cities in the metro area have 88 pass transit flat nose busses. My license is for 88 pass which is the max, so school buses, old Greyhound or Trail ways bus will also work; these are great because of storage bays below the seating deck. CAN YOU SAY ROLLING FRAG SHOW….LOL?

I think that we could make it work; we just would need to locate one and get donations through selling ad space on the sides from manufactures, sponsors and fund raising from our club.

The law does not require original bench seating to remain in place. We could even make a reef lounge in part of it with U shaped seating with a”mini reef bar”.

I think that is would be a great way to plaster our sponsor’s names all over it after is repainted and then it turns into a rolling billboard for both club and sponsors.

A nice sea blue exterior, with fish, inverts, and corals all down both sides

Have a great week, as I will be on vacation until 7/25

Kevin

It has been quite a few years since I owned a bus. This to consider are costs of registration and such. Some buses with modifications may need to be classified as Motor Homes. No way would I get a diesel burner. An advantage of buying an older bus is that they are relatively simple to work on. Old G.I. buses have a extra-high ceiling... nice for those over 6 ft. Other things to consider is gas expense. A 35 gallon tank will cost about $160 to fill @ $4.50 per gallon. That cost split between 30 passengers is about $5.25 apiece. Actual initial cost of a fairly good running bus can be found under $1000. (Bartering... maybe trade for a nice reef system? :D) I helped some folks open a little cafe for my bus. Lots of possibilities. I can ask around. I know of a few "bus people".

"The Rolling Reef". Catchy name, Kevin. (can we alse name our newsletter that? lol)

John,

Even if we charged $10 per person for a trip, it would be cheaper then the person driving their own vehicle.

As far as sponsership for the bus, I think that is a great idea as well. And we shouldn't just think local for this. contacting national manufactures for either cash or goods donations (that can be sold, auctioned, or raffled for cash). We should set up a pricing structure for this, to make sure we treat everyone equally.

• 2 weeks later...