Wooohooo......I have red bugs!

sknoch78

Has anyone here had experience in treating them? I have about 20 frags and a couple of colonies in a 15g frag tank. Everything had been duing fine until a few days ago when I noticed some slight bleaching on a monti cap. Yesterday I noticed that one cap had bleached even further and another was showing signs. I assumed it had to do with my low alkalinity so I did a 3g water change to help boost the alkalinity. I came home tonight and was looking in the tank and noticed some lightness in the branches of a yellow acro colony I have, so I broke out the magnifying glass to get a better look at what was going on. Much to my surprise I found several small red dots and upon further inspection, they were scurrying around.

So I already have some Interceptor. Can anyone enlighten me on the procedure for dosing as well as how much for such a small tank.

Thanks,

Shawn

If its only a few acro colonies or frags I would probably remove them and treat them seperate. IMO I bet you will get them all without treating the whole tank. If it doesnt work, THEN you can treat the whole tank.

Like impure said, they dont live on monties, nor any other coral other than Acropora. Chances are good if you just treat the coral (like 1/10 a pill) you will get all the bugs, without losing your pods etc.

I did one treatment about a week ago. I followed it up with a 50% water change and have been running carbon since. I would say that it worked perfectly, not a bug left that I can find. I ended up treating the whole tank as it is only a 15g. After this experience, I will treat all new acros before they go in the big tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...