Tank cooling tips

Guest Ahbrit

Guest Ahbrit

i'll add a couple i've used before:

1. Chiller. Completely automated system designed to keep your tank within a very thin margin of temp swing. Can be expensive. Do not disregard the high electricity costs. The bigger units reuire dedicated electrical

2. Computer fans. These can be found at the electrical store like frys. They are very energy efficient and use evaporation as the method of heat removal. You will increase evaporation as much as 300%. Do not forget to buy the 12V convertor. This is the most cost effective method

3. Tank Fans. these will be found at the LFS. They tend to run a little higher in price but plug directly into your 110V outlet. they are as efficient as computer fans. there is less selection with these fans vs computer fans.

4. Exhaust as much hot air from your room as possible

5. Run your lights a couple hours less.

(note...if you utilize the fan method, make sure thay are aimed at the water albeit sump or display. With halides make a cushion of air within your hood if you have one so as little heat can hit the water as possible. If you use a chiller, electric costs can be reduced by using the fan in hood method)

Someone else add to this thread. Summer has just started.

Back in the days before the chiller, Jay had a large box fan precariously setting across two pieces of wood blowing directly down on the surface of the water in the sump. It really helped, but we also went through a couple fans because they were destroyed by the salt. We evaporated a ton of water in the process. I also garnered a few more grey hairs from anticipating the day the fan fell into the sump and set the house on fire. (scary)

Stacy

I've been told not to aim the fans at the halide bulbs. True????

Also closing the house up completely while it's still cool- blinds, curtains, windows seems to help keep the house cooler.

Getting to be a full time job keeping the house/tank cool. My B-day is about 3 weeks away(36....UHHHG) I'm askin' everyone to pitch in towards a chiller.

Bobby

I've been told not to aim the fans at the halide bulbs. True????

Also closing the house up completely while it's still cool- blinds, curtains, windows seems to help keep the house cooler.

Getting to be a full time job keeping the house/tank cool. My B-day is about 3 weeks away(36....UHHHG) I'm askin' everyone to pitch in towards a chiller.

Bobby

I believe that cooling the bulbs will affect that par value, but I could be mistaken. Although closing up the house during the day is a great idea, I would open up the house late at night. CO2 will build up over time in the house and drop the PH of the tank. It looks like it is going to be one hot summer.

Jay

This is twitterbait's post from TRT.

So with the weather warming up (especially here in OR) I figure it would be a good time to tell ya'll what i have been doing on my tank to keep things cool. I know situations vary but if you don't have central AC then these ideas might help.

I always watch the weather forecast for the next day and if the temp will be climbing to within 5 degrees of my tank temp i initiate my cool down procedures.

first make sure it is cooler outside than in.

then unplug your heater in your tank.

Open all windows and put a fan blowing in on most but leave a few open with no fan, or a fan blowing out. you need to bring cold air in and push warm air out.

go to bed, wake up early 6-7AM and close all the windows and cover all of them (close curtains/blinds, etc...). set your tank lighting to come on at this time and then set it to turn off at Noon. have a fan blowing on the sump or even better on the top of the tank instead, this will blow the heat from your lights away from the tank as well.

since your heater is unplugged your tank will probably be in the low 70's, don't freak out, the lower temp means the further your water has to go to heat up.

If you have a small window AC unit throw it on powersaver and then close up all the rooms that don't need the cool air from it. the less volume of air the AC has to cool the more efficient it will be. make sure it is recirculating the air in the house not pulling the outside air in.

as the day goes on the tank will heat up but it should stay within a good range. you can either set your lighting timer or manually turn on your lights when you get home around 5-6 PM. then let the lights stay on until 11-12 midnight. that will give your kids the light cycle they need in 2 portions and help you manage the temp. if the next day is still warm... wait until the temp outside is lower than inside and start from the beginning.

Emergency cooling ideas are as follows...

1. Keep multiple 2-liter bottles of water frozen and float them in the sump.

2. Keep a bunch of RO ice cubes to throw in your tank

3. Throw a fan or 2 on your sump.

4. Allow your water level to drop a little further and then top-off the evap plus some from your cold RO unit/top-off bucket (it is a good idea to keep your RO storage container in a cool dark place for this)

5. Get a chiller, the pacific coast imports 1/10 HP chiller works great for temperature control on tanks up to 200gal! they are not priced to bad either look at $350-400 plus $30-50 for a pump if you need one.

I hope these suggestions help. try to keep the tank temp below 82 if you have coral/inverts or 84 if you only have fish. Remember that it is always better to drop the temp fast if it gets too hot rather that trying to do it slowly. the longer the temp stays high the more stressed your babies will be and the more you may lose.

I may not have covered everything... and this is all based on my experience. your comments and suggestions are welcome. stay cool

i do the same as twitterbait..no heater in the summer plugged in....and lights are only on for 4hr to 6hrs. with fans on... AC on in the house ..windows open at nite with fans still running...temps drop to 73-74 degrees at nite and at peak reach 81 ...depending on AC setting. this is on a 100gallon with dual 400....been doing this for years and have had no issues.....

When i was in my apartment, i bought a small cheapy window shaker at sears, i think it was 50 bucks. Stuck that in the window with an oscillating fan in front of it to help distribute the cold air better. I used a tapastry to seperate the room the tank was in from the rest of the apartment, it actually left the living room, kitchen, and dinning room with the tank all receiving the cold air. I would close all windows and even used some large sheets of styrofoam from HD taped to the window for more insulation against the sun beating on that side of the building. The styrofoam sheets REALLY REALLY helped. I bet it kept the temp a solid 5 degrees cooler than if i did not have them. The best part, they cost 3 bucks each :D