two tangs down whats goin on

Gunner52

well this morning i lost my naso tang and i cannot figure out why? my tank has been going since the beggining of January everything has been good up until about 3-4 weeks ago maybe a little longer. first i lost my clam idk what happened just found it upside down in the sand in the morning with everything eating it. it looked fine the night before and the water checked out fine. i put an urchin in a few days prior and it looked like it pushed it over or something so i just figured the urchin killed it somehow so i gave it to the LFS then a week or so after that my clown tang looked kinda sick one night. he was just hangin out at the bottom and hiding but other than that looked fine he was still eating and everything and then the next morning he was nowhere to be found and has never been seen again and everything test normal again. so last night my naso tang was doing the same thing just hiding and hangin out at the bottom just lookin like he didnt feel good but still eating and then this morning he was dead and the shrimp and crabs were eating away. all my other fish are doing just fine and getting along great im just kinda irritated because i cant figure out what is going on. also i lost my bubble coral too about the same time as the clown tang i just dont get it cause everything else is doing great.

water parm.

sal. 1.021

temp. 78.4

ph. 8.2

nitrite 0

nitrate 15

ammonia 0

dkh 9

phos. 0

Ca. 400

all the fish have been quarantined for two weeks with cupramine and then givin a 5 min freshwater dip before entering the tank so id be kinda confused if its some kinda disease unless it came in on a coral or invert idk any help or ideas would be much appreciated

thanks

Gunner

Sorry to hear of your loss. One of the downsides of the hobbie.These are/were wild animals, sometimes they just never acclimate to life in captivity. It happens to all of us. Collection methods play a huge roll in how well your fish does long term. Even then when everything is done by the books sometimes some fish won't make it. DO you have a skimmer?? if not dissolved oxygen could be one thing to check. Whats your water source?? chlorine /chloramines would be another quick easy thing to check. I check my ro/di filter effulent on a regular basis just using those quick strips. A good preventative to bacteria, parisites, and other unwanted pests is a uv sterilizer, but by no means a cure. There are so many factors that go into why a fish dies that IMO the only way to truly find out why they died would be to do a necropsy(when all obvious reasons have been ruled out).

Salinity is a little low. I would be doing water changes. Add carbon. You said you had a few things die/get eaten other that fish. The perm. can look good, but it doesn't account for chemical changes. Like the bubble tip dying.

Mrgreenthumb has some very good points to look at also. A little more info like total gallonage of system,skimmer etc. also helps. And food.

Have you been painting or useing any strong cleaners? With a skimmer mixing air from your room it doesnt take much to start killing things. Even just useing softscrub in the bathtub has made my LPS corals sick with white jelly infections. Paint has killed a few of my corals as well as a fish. Just something to remember....always turn off the skimmer when painting or useing chemicals.

What supplements are you useing in your tank if any? What salt? How much current do you have from powerheads or returns?

Jay

• 1 month later...

I would like to put my 2 cents in on this as well. I have learned a very hard lesson in the 4 months that I have had my 90 GAL up and running.

I would say know where you are buying, QT all fish, and any fish that is not hearty or ich mags. or are prown to getting sick. I plan to keep harder to keep fish in a QT and get their health to a prime level, and give anti-stress meds and any thing to improve the health condition of my live stock. This key is to give them a fighting chance.

One last thing, if you buy bag fish from any store that offer non-acclimated fish, they should be drip acclimated for a minimum of 10-15 hours before placing them in a QT tank to hold them over for several weeks.

This is not only my advice, but, my plan of action from this day forward. THERE IS NO SAFE SHORT CUT, DO IT, AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.,

Thanks

Kevin

I would be very cautous about a 10-15 hour drip acclimation unless you are on top of other peramiters like temperature & oxygen levels. I have had fish come in that were in a bag for over 45 hours. I dripped them for about 4-5 hours But temperature was becoming an issue.

Dave