Cleaner Crew Suggestions?

pthoma79

OK, just want to see if I'm along the right lines here. I have a 30 gal tank, with 7-8 small nassarius snails, 7 blue leg hermits and 4-5 turbos. I also have 2 clowns. Any ideas on if this is a good enough cleaner crew? I was thinking a conch or something. Also, was thinking about getting a few more crabs and maybe a few cerith snails. Let me know what you think!

Thanks-

Phil

• 2 months later...

Cleaner Crew Suggestions?

I have to agree, I like snails in to tank; they really seem to do a great job keeping up with this, as well as very neat to watch when cleaning the glass.

One other this that I have that is working very well for me is very small blue leg hermit crab. They are only the size of a grain of rice or so and grow to a pretty good size in about 6 months or so. I started me tank of with some and they loved the green and red hair that seems to take over if not watched. (laugh)

This is only my experience.

Thanks

Kevin

I would go with another algae eating snail then turbos.

Turbo's get HUGE, and knock over everything in their way. Go with Astrae's or margarita's or black foot's.

I've got a pretty good sized turbo that is terrorizing my tank. It's even knocked off epoxied pieces.

Trochus, nassarius and cerith snails get my votes. Between the three of those, you got the three major junk groups (algae, meaty & poop) covered. Plus, watching the nassarius submarine squadron surface never fails to bring a smile to my grumpy old face.

As much as I hate to, I have to agree with Andy!!!!! I would also try to get some stromatella snails, and my personal favorite hermit, the Hawaiian Scarlet hermit. Emerald crabs are okay when they are small, but when the get largere, thay can be cantankerous. I also used a tiger tail. Throw in a couple of peppermints, and you are good to go!!

As much as I hate to' date=' I have to agree with Andy!!!!![/quote']

(laugh)

Okay, here's something maybe you can disagree with: 20 - 30 snails is, IMO, way too many for a tank that size. Many, if not most of those will die off from starvation. I don't have 30 snails in my 55, and it's pretty clean. I feed a lot, too...

I would also add that I personally would get 20-30 more nassarius snails.

Hmmm. 20-30 is a LOT of nassarius. I have 3 large nassarius in my 90 gal and they are more than enough to keep my sand sparkling white. With 20 to 30 you would have to supplement your feeding just to keep them alive. Nassarius are very very efficient for their size. I would not recommend adding any more than you have even though they are the small ones. I would also have to agree with everyone else on the turbos. If you like you corals to stay where you put them then get rid of the turbos. Trade them in for some trochus or cerith, much better choice. I also love emaralds as they are not only a blast to watch, but are known for their appetite for bubble algea, even you have no bubble algea its a good preventative measure. I have also had great luck with tuxedo urchins. Another fun one to watch as they usually try to camoflouge themselves by placing debris from the tank onto their back. Great algea eaters too! Cleaner shrimp are fun to watch and very beneficial to the fish in the tank, but do little in the area of daily clean up. JMO

Actually Andy, I have to agree with you again!!! Dang it, twice in one thread. I think if you get the small nassarius, then 20 is okay, but if you find the large ones, no more than 10. I also like tuxedo urchins and abalone are cool to watch.

My little 30 only has 3 nessarius in it but they are BIG. But I also have a couple of conches and they are fun to watch cruise around the bottom. Between them the sand is nice and white. The cucumbers are nice but they are kind of ugly looking if you ask me(laugh)

As for the tuxedo urchins is there any problems with them knocking stuff over? I have a few places that algea is growing anf the small tang wont touch it and neither will the algea blenny go figure. So maybe one of the tuxedos is an option.

Mine is fairly large, but suprisingly gentle. I have a lot of frags that are just superglued down and it has never knocked any of them over, or anything at all for that matter. I had a long spine, it was constantly knocking everything over, and stuck me on more than one occasion so he got the boot. Tuxedos are just fun to watch in general, the way they place stuff on their backs. just my 2 cents