Heat

WAVES

its 90 degrees in here and climbing, how is everyone doing out there with the heat? its not even HOT HOT yet outside but its hot in here!

Ive got lots of ice waiting to go into sumps when the time comes, everyone else hangin in there?

been through 15 blocks of ice,,, Ill probably have to go back to work in an hour or so and do another round of ice in every tank.

Im sure its not good for the tanks, but its gotta be better than 90 degree water.

wish the [language filter] AC guys would hurry up.

It's supposed to be 100 here for Sunday/Monday.

The living room with the tanks is 73 with the help of our trusty old window a/c.

Tanks are at 79.

If the a/c ever goes out, I'll have to go for the baggies full of ice!

I remember the days without the little a/c and it was intolerable in our house by evening. We spent a lot of time at the mall then! :)

I topped out at 83.7 :( Too high. I'm reducing and shifting the photo period on my MH lighting, and am freezing some small water bottles to float. I just float them in my sump, upstream from the heaters?

I topped out at 83.7 :( Too high. I'm reducing and shifting the photo period on my MH lighting' date=' and am freezing some small water bottles to float. I just float them in my sump, upstream from the heaters?[/quote']

yeah, pretty much...however I did this today and they did not do much, they melt to fast. I am now moving up to 1 gallon apple juice jug and see how well this does.

Before we got a chiller for the big tank, we used to freeze two liter pop bottles with water. But let me tell you, if you can ever get a chiller... do it! I wasn't keen on the thought of spending a wad of cash on an "air conditioner" for the tank, but the peace of mind from running a chiller is worth every penny!

But I know, it's a big investment!

Stacy

We had serious problems (not just for the tanks, but us humans too) until we put in a cheapo little window air conditioner.

It's not really powerful enough for the size of the room, but manages to keep the temp at 75 tops if we close the windows early in the morning, and run a fan pulling in cool air at night.

I also have a fan going over the sump all the time, which really makes a difference.

My tank temp used to go up to 83 (from 77). Now 79 is tops!

well Im at 70 blocks of ice and counting. Ran some lights today intermitten based on customer flow. was upto 95 inside. I put a thermometer outside in the shade out front, peaked at 105. The western exposure here just COOKS the front of my building late day.

I hosed down the front of the building and roof for about 3 hours. Its down to 89 degrees inside (8:00pm) so I opened up the front and ran my ghetto swamp cooloer (i use a fine mist infront of a 4 foot tall fan) hopefully that will chill the air enough coming in that I can keep reducing the temp inside. its still hotter outside, but Its gotta be dryer air than in here. its stale and sticky gross inside.

I seriously considering sleeping here tonight so I can leave the front big door open to chill the whole building overnight. Tomorrow is gonna suck even worse since I dont have a good way to cool everything down tonight.

Luckly a customer is letting me borrow his drop in chiller for the cube tank in the office, I just rigged up an exhaust out the window for it so Ill probably run the AC unit I have for the office. its kind of a joke but it did keep the office about 5-10 degrees cooler than the rest of the shop. The problem is it just dumps the heat back into the rest of the shop. its really only good for my comfort not the critters.

Luckly there is a 5 ton AC unit in the forcast for waves. Hopefully in the comming weeks it will be pleasent in here.

Wish everyone the best dealing with it,,, Im right there with ya, only my lively hood is on the line.

Keith, is your chiller for sale? how much? PM me.

My tank is downstairs in a daylight basement. I installed a dual exhaust fan my wife wisely picked up at Freddies, it is blowing warm room air out the window -- cool air is coming down the stairs from the upstairs in-window air conditioners.

I'm also leaving the metal halides off for the next day or so. My SPS collection is limited to a single Monti frag that seems to be the toughtest coral in the world... it loves it ;) so I think I'll be ok on the much lower photo period.

Anyways, tank temp stayed below 81F all day which is a lot better than yesterday's high of almost 84. Didn't have to float the frozen water bottles, either. I'm feeling pretty lucky. I stopped in at Upscales this afternoon (returning from a failed trip to the coast... major MAJOR accident 40mi W of Salem closed the highway for hours, foring an about-face) and it was boiling in there. I felt compelled to rescue a nice little 2-head Hammer from the heat ;)

Wow, hope everyone comes out ok, just have to make it thru Monday it looks like, then Tues should be about 10 degrees cooler. In my new house (energystar) with the heat pump we stayed at 71 all day, tank was at 80. My sump fan kicked on for about an hour but that was it.