T5 bulb configuration?

siskiou

Thanx! Yeah I was really suprised when I saw the difference between the 2 pictures. Now you see why I need the new tank...

Now you're just bragging, Rich! Honestly, he has quite possibly the best local tank, especially considering his calcium reactor!!! Makes a good arguement for T-5's

The longer I wait, the less I know what to order!(plotting)

Do I want to stay away from any daylight bulbs (GE 6700k or ATI 6000k)? Too strong, too yellow?

If I put a daylight in the next to last slot, would it still be too yellow looking, with a blue+ and an actinic in front of it?

Is the ATI Sun more yellow than the GE?

Great tank shots, by the way!

Thanks again, Darren.

A touch of warmth wouldn't be bad, but I wish I knew how much one of the GE or ATI Sun adds.

I think I'll go with one GE, one Aqualblue, one blueplus, one pure actinic and see what happens.

If need be, is it possible to just run three bulbs for a while, and leave one slot empty (in case I hate the GE day bulb)?

Or does that ruin the ballast?

The GE 6500k bulbs are going to give you the most bang for the buck as far as growth goes, but they are also going to make your tank more yellow. If you are going for an LPS/SPS tank then I would do like you said expect I would NOT get the Pure actinic and go for the UV Super Actinic bulb. It has a higher par rating an will give you better color...

Thanks!

Does anyone know if it's okay for the ballast to only run 3 bulbs for a while and leave one slot empty?

I want to not run the midday lamp for a while, since I read that it can really contribute to algae growth. My 40G is pretty new and is going through a diatom bloom, with a little bit of hair algae starting to pop up and I'm afraid it will really get going with a 6500k bulb in the mix (but I'd like to have it for later use).

You should contact manufacrure for that, presonally I wouldn't.

As far as the rest, with my setup the color is good but it doesn't look quite as blue as upscales, so next round I will be removing one of the blue plus and ordering a full itanic. But at far at growth I got plenty. I may at some point order a 6500 but right now I see no point, the 11k provide a good "Band" or array of light that everything seems to like. Thats all I will say, Im sure there is things in tanks that like the 6500 more but as far as SPS these guys are fine.

I woul probably go 2 11k on blueplus and a itanic. If you really want swap out a 11k for a 6500. Its preference really I think you will get good growth either way. Just remeber the 11k's are really [language filter] bright. I run 5.

My tank has the same light intensity or close to the smae as upscales but the blue isnt quite as intense. I will fix that at prevoiusly described.

It will depend on the ballast, some are designed to run the bulbs in pairs so if you disconnected one the other would turn off.

As for more algae growth, the bulb color has nothing to do with more or less algae growth that has completely to do with your tank conditions...

It will depend on the ballast' date=' some are designed to run the bulbs in pairs so if you disconnected one the other would turn off. [/quote']

Ah, okay!

Maybe I have to hunt down a burned out bulb! ;)

As for more algae growth, the bulb color has nothing to do with more or less algae growth that has completely to do with your tank conditions...

Hm, I'm not totally convinced of that, having personally experienced a beautiful tank with absolutely no problems go downhill within a week of putting a new light fixture on.

And plants really like the daylight spectrum for speedy growth.

My tank has the same light intensity or close to the smae as upscales but the blue isnt quite as intense. I will fix that at prevoiusly described.

I haven't ordered yet and am still reading! :)

Have you experienced any bleaching of your corals over time, going more and more pastel instead of keeping their original color?

And how far above the tank do you have your lights?

Hm, I'm not totally convinced of that, having personally experienced a beautiful tank with absolutely no problems go downhill within a week of putting a new light fixture on.

And plants really like the daylight spectrum for speedy growth.

I agree that a bulb that is out of spectrum could cause algae to grow, but that would ONLY happen if the parameters were right for the algae to grow in the first place. If your tank is very low on nutrients and phosphates then the algae would never get started. It all has to do with your tank equipment, maintance, and care...

• 2 weeks later...
As far as running without one bulb I know my 8 bulb T5 runs in pairs and both are out if one isn't in quite right.

Yes, that seems to be the case.

I guess I'll keep an extra bulb around in case one goes out.

For now I'm running one 10k and one Blue+, which is plenty of light for now.

Once my algae issues are under control, I'll add the other set of lights, just for a few hours at first.