T5 bulb configuration?

siskiou

It depends on what kind of color you are wanting...If you want a more blue apporach...go with 2 "daylight"(depending on company, 10k) with 2 actinics...or if you want less blue...

1-6,500k

2-10k

1-actinic

As long as you have a couple daylight bulbs in there you will be fine for growth and health of your corals...it will then come down to you deciding how much blue or white you want from all the bulbs.

What about the Aquablue and Blue+?

I can't quite figure out what they would look like.

The Aquablue are 11,000k 60% actinic/40% white spectrum

and the blue plus 20,000k 450nm peak (similar to Radium Blue metal halide lamps)?

The ATI Sun is 6000K.

I prefer white, leaning toward blue, not yellow.

This link shows my bulb selection and a photo of the results... http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic26907-16-1.aspx?Highlight=dchemist

The light is a Tek- 36" with 4 bulbs. I have 2 aquablues, 1 actinic plus and 1 pure actinic. I think its too blue, but I've gotten used to it. When I replace the bulkbs I'm going replace the pure actinic or actinic plus with a GE daylight. That won't be until this winter.

For what its worth- the growth I have seems fast.

That *is* very blue! Did you switch your bulbs around to see if that would change anything?

And which ones do you turn on first for dawn/dusk?

Are your softies doing okay with the new lights?

I've read T5 threads until my eyeballs are falling out, and opinions change so much, with some people saying the daylight bulbs (GE or ATI) are too much for their corals, and others recommending them.

I'm leaning toward getting one ATI Sun (6000k), one Aquablue (11.000k) and two blue plus (20,000k).

Which ones of these would work for dawn/dusk? Do I need one pure actinic in there, instead of one of the blue plus?

And if yes, should I get an ATI brand or go for a UVL super actinic instead?

:confused: So many choices, and I want to get it reasonably right, since I'll have to live with it for the next 18-24 months. ;)

Your pics help a lot! Are the colors in them reasonably true to life, in your opinion?

That *is* very blue! Did you switch your bulbs around to see if that would change anything? I have switched them- but with little difference in the overall look (when they're all on).

And which ones do you turn on first for dawn/dusk? I now have the pure actinic and actinic plus come on dawn/dusk. I used to mix an aquablue and the pure actinic for dawn/dusk but I like the increased fluorescence at dawn/dusk better.

Are your softies doing okay with the new lights? Everything (Xenia, ricordia, rhodactis, favites, capnella, gsp, mushrooms, zoanthids, and some caulastrea) is doing great- the Ricordia looked as if it disliked it the most but I just tucked it into a shady part of a rock and its still growing. The rhodactis, favites and zoanthids were added after I added the new lights.

I've read T5 threads until my eyeballs are falling out, and opinions change so much, with some people saying the daylight bulbs (GE or ATI) are too much for their corals, and others recommending them.

I'm leaning toward getting one ATI Sun (6000k), one Aquablue (11.000k) and two blue plus (20,000k). I like this list, though I haven't used a daylight bulb before so I'm not speaking from experience.

Which ones of these would work for dawn/dusk? Do I need one pure actinic in there, instead of one of the blue plus? From your list I would use the two blue plus for dawn/dusk. I don't think you have to have the pure actinic, but I like the additional fluorescence.

And if yes, should I get an ATI brand or go for a UVL super actinic instead? I've never seen a comparison between the two.

:confused: So many choices, and I want to get it reasonably right, since I'll have to live with it for the next 18-24 months. ;)I agree, but regardless of what you get, you'll get used to it.

Your pics help a lot! Are the colors in them reasonably true to life, in your opinion? The colors are pretty accurate.

If you want to see it in person- PM me.

Also, I was unprepared for the algae bloom when I went from 42 Watts to 156 Watts of light. It is better now.

Darren

If you want to see it in person- PM me.

Also, I was unprepared for the algae bloom when I went from 42 Watts to 156 Watts of light. It is better now.

Darren

Would love to see it in person, but the drive is a bit long from Eugene. :)

And thanks for the "algae" warning!

Did you do any "screen acclimation" on your tank, or start with less hours for the lighting?

Would love to see it in person, but the drive is a bit long from Eugene. :)

And thanks for the "algae" warning!

Did you do any "screen acclimation" on your tank, or start with less hours for the lighting?

I didn't realize you were so far south...

I didn't do the screen acclimation (just didn't want to buy it). I reduced photoperiod from 12 to 6 hours and ran just half the lights for a couple of weeks. I increased the photoperiod over 1 or 2 months. I now run dawn/dusk from 6:30 am to 9:00 pm and the other lights (aquablues) from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.

I didn't realize that my location isn't listed. Have taken care of that now!

I'll probably aslo start out with half the lights first, and a shorter period, though I have to think of some way to keep jumpers from getting out of the tank,

maybe some lighting grid stuff (can't think of the name right now).

I'm working on the lighting for my new 120G SPS tank, it will be lit with T5's only. For the bulb configuration I'm using 2 GE 6500K, 3 UV Super Actinics, 1 UV White Actinic (11K), 1 Auqa blue, 1 Blue plus. I think this should give me somewhere around 14K.

Now for my softy/LPS 29G tank I'm using 4 T5s, the bulbs are 2 UV Super actinics, 1 GE 6500k, 1 Auqa blue.

On and the best way to acclimate your tank to brighter light is with Window screening, cut them to the size of your tank and then layer a couple to get the lighting lower. Then remove a sheet each week. I have done that with every light change and never lost a coral...

Rich

Now for my softy/LPS 29G tank I'm using 4 T5s' date=' the bulbs are 2 UV Super actinics, 1 GE 6500k, 1 Auqa blue.[/quote']

What's your opinion on those UV super actinics?

Are they an improvent compared to the ATI actinics?

On and the best way to acclimate your tank to brighter light is with Window screening, cut them to the size of your tank and then layer a couple to get the lighting lower.

Thanks! Is the color of the screenings of any importance?

I've seen them in white, grey, black. And I assume it's best to stay away from the metal version?

Now for my softy/LPS 29G tank I'm using 4 T5s, the bulbs are 2 UV Super actinics, 1 GE 6500k, 1 Auqa blue.

What kind of look do you get with that bulb combination?

What about the Aquablue and Blue+?

I can't quite figure out what they would look like.

The Aquablue are 11,000k 60% actinic/40% white spectrum

and the blue plus 20,000k 450nm peak (similar to Radium Blue metal halide lamps)?

The ATI Sun is 6000K.

I prefer white, leaning toward blue, not yellow.

You can come over and Look, I run ATI 5x 11k and 3 x blue plus. Guesmen bulb. I personaly would stay away from the GE till it has a bit more testing, but thats just me. When I look at the light charts it apears they have a much narrower band of light then the gueissmen / ati bulbs. and what you save 4 bucks?

If I was to do a 4 bulb I would probably go with 2 11k, single blue plus and if it makes you feel better a daylight. But honestly the growth should be very close with the 11k, I don't run any daylight and with my combo the growth is excellent. I got the advice from tank of the month from a guy in Europe and it has really paid off.

If you look at the daylight bulb it much more "Yellow" than the daylight thats white.

Thanks!

Do you have any pictures up of your tank?

I'm wanting to order as soon as possible, since the website I'm ordering from has a "going out of business" sale.

Do you consider your look as too blue?

Should I get 3 11,000k and one blue plus, or two of each?

Or two 11,000k, one blue plus and one pure actinic?

What's your opinion on those UV super actinics?

Are they an improvent compared to the ATI actinics?

THey are a huge improvement in my opinion, a lot brighter and a lot closer to VHO ones.

Thanks! Is the color of the screenings of any importance?

I've seen them in white, grey, black. And I assume it's best to stay away from the metal version?

It shouldn't make any difference, its just used to block some of the light coming through.

What kind of look do you get with that bulb combination?

Its around a 12K look, the GE 6500k is very bright and yellow so it washes some of the blue out. But its also very good for growth...

Here are a couple of pictures of my 50G tank with the 4 T5s, the bulbs are 2 UV Super actinics, 1 GE 6500k, 1 Auqa blue. This is before the MH come on, I don't have anything with the new lighting yet because I don't have the tank yet.

And just for fun here is a Picture from Nov 2005 and the tank today...

November 2005

Tank_50002.jpg

Today (with the T5 lighting)

Tank011.jpg

DOH! I suppose the only close to accurate comparison would be to use the same camera on the same tank with the same setting using different T5 bulbs.

A topic/workshop on aquarium photography was suggested a while back. Anyone got some background in this willing to give a talk at a meeting sometime?