Adding Additional Rock To Display

Kevinmc

I am looking for help with questions about adding additional rock to my display tank.

I bought three additional pieces of rock from a members tank that has beem in water with no light and not heat. I am smelling an odor that I believe is die off with no slime, just debris in the bottom of the Rubber Maid tote.

Here are my Questions:

1. What can I do to add them to my tank?

2. Can I rinse with fresh water and add a few smaller pieces and then add the 1 medium to larger one in like a few day to a week?

Thanks

Kevin (scratch)

If the rock smells rotten, it needs more curing. Put it in a tub of tank-temperature seawater and hook up a skimmer. It'll probably take a couple of weeks or so to cure. Give it the sniff test each week, once it stops smelling like death it's ready to go into your tank.

Don't put it in freshwater, that'll just make things worse by killing stuff off.

What will it do if you rinse it with fresh water to get any debris off of it? (scratch)

No rotten smell just the smell of the sea, not a fresh smell and not rotten. It is in with a heater and skimmer and light after I hosed it off with shower sprayer and added to tote. It smells just like I got it, just sluff off from no heat or light. It has stayed in saltwater the whole time and has never been in fresh water. I used the water that I transported it in. An then added my water change water to top it off with skimmer heater and lights.

Thanks Andy, your into is a great help to a new reefer.

Kevin

Some critters are particularly sensitive, sponges for example -- some types will die just from exposure to air, let alone fresh water. If the rock needs cleaning off, just use a bucket of old tank water and rinse in that.

I'm kind'a confused now. In the base note you said you smelled "die off" If the rock doesn't smell sharply of rotten eggs or curl your toes with some other evil smell, it's probably okay to add to your tank. I'd keep an eye on my ammonia levels if it were me, though...

Yes, I will be watching all levels to see wqhat is going to happen. It did not feel like slime, you could just see stuff had fallen off of the rock and the water was not clear, looked like very very weak tea with a strong sea smell, but not rotten eggs or sulfur.

Thanks

Kevin

(Addition)

I have added snails, a few blue leg hermits, and 1 emerald crab to the tote to start doing their job. Clean-up crew has been added. I will watch and see what happens in the next few days to a week and test water for any changes.

Thanks a million Andy for your advise.

Kevin

I have not added any photos as of yet, I have photos, I just need to find out what is used to be able to post them to this site.

I here photo bucket, I'm not a techy in that area, my wife is the queen, she can do it this weekend.

I bought 120-130 pounds of rock with my sand three months ago, and just bought 20-25 pounds from Scott, and about the same from another connection that I have. I think in my 90 GAL I have close to 150-160 pounds of rock, it looks sweet.

Thanks

Kevin