Water Change Help

Kevinmc

(scratch) I know that doing a water change in a 90 GAL tank, I need to account for the rock and sand. Also I have a 45 GAL Sump/Refugium that currently is about 25 GAL full.

In doing a water change of 15 GAL, I am wondering if that is about enough of a water change, or if it is taking out too much of the good bacteria, or if it will be okay? (scratch)

Water quality was still good, upon testing prior to water change all readings were normal, however water change was done. This tank is new, only about 2 months old, and has gone through three cycles that lasted only about 3-5 days each. I have been without any change or cycle for more then two weeks and things look like that are going to level out. I understand that the cycles are not over yet, but one thing going for my tank is that the rock and sand came from excisting tanks that had been set up for several years.

(plotting) I an just wondering what a refugium 1/3 full of cheato has to do with it. My refugium is half full of mico-alge of different types. I am currently growing different mico-alges that I have come accorss in the last month, and I truely believe that having a refugium with mico-algo with live rock is that way to go. (laugh)

I would say 10-15 gal. and no, it won't hurt your bacteria levels. Most of the nitrifying bacteria live on the surface of things (rocks, sand grains, glass, powerheads, etc.) not free floating in the water column.

When you say algae, call it MACRO-algae. micro-algae needs a microscope to see, Macro algae is large enough to see without a microscope. :)

The refugium is a way to absorb excess nutrients out of the tank. The macro algae "eats" the nitrates and phosphates so the micro algae (the "bad" algae that covers your rocks) does not grow as much. If your macro algae becomes too dense the part that does not get enough light will start to die off and release nutrients back into the water. Not good. That is why about 1/3 is best.

HTH and good luck

dsoz

I do about 15 gal on my 75gal weekly. I'd say 15 would be best for you if you are doing weekly WCs, 20-25 if you are doing biweekly or 1 time a month.

I'm of the opinion that a refugium is nothing more than a detrius sink. I've run a tank with one, and a tank without and notice no difference except that the fuge collected junk that needed to be cleaned out. And when running a fuge i notice my alk was used up much faster.

Okay, what is the right amount of micro-alge to house in your refugium. The main on that I have is cheato, my others are, Grape Caulerpa, Feather Caulerpane that I bought from a local fish shop.

I am looking at my water test, and noting is out of the norm, so I am wondering what water test members are doing that might be benifical at the two month period. I have done, and have had a full spectrum water test done, and and everything is within the normal range, and I ma told that there is not concern at this time.

I have read the report that grape Caulerpa can become sexual. My refugium has light 24/7 with a 44 WATT 2500 Lumens light and my 10,000K (CPF). I know that this may not prevent the problem, but I am trying to have a jump on the game to prevent problems.

I am new to saltwater, and I am wanting to keep my water quality level high, so I am wondering if adding a carbon filiter is a good add-on to having a skimmer, sump and refugium. Maybe what I am asking is, what does the best job keeping water clear and at healthy levels. Should I be looking at a second filter, or put cheato in my display tank? I am looking at improving water quality, can someone make an informed recomondation as to what so of my options are? I need to keep cost in mind when making this change.

Thanks

Kevin

I think what I am experiencing is alge, my tank has hard brown, wine colored deposits that are hard to scrape off of the glass, and my rock is turning a (merlot) wine color finally. I am seeing feather dusters about 1/4-1/2" off the top of some rocks, and something that looks like little white starscovering most of one good size rock.

Any advice on what to do to care for my tank at thing point? It looks like my tank is coming around and developing at a good rate.

Thanks

Kevin

I think what I am experiencing is alge, my tank has hard brown, wine colored deposits that are hard to scrape off of the glass, and my rock is turning a (merlot) wine color finally. I am seeing feather dusters about 1/4-1/2" off the top of some rocks, and something that looks like little white starscovering most of one good size rock.

Any advice on what to do to care for my tank at thing point? It looks like my tank is coming around and developing at a good rate.

Thanks

Kevin

Patience. :) Just keep watching things and letting it all come to life before adding too much other life. I thought I read you've added a fair number of things already....some are fine but others probably should've been held off for a little while longer.

Thanks Jeff,

I plan to keep watching everything develop over time. This is an exciting venture, and one of the biggest mystery's will be to see what will become of everything as time passes.

I find that that the toughest thing is everyone differing opinion on what is the right time with a tank that has rock and sand from another tank. Some say fish ready but add on more then X per week, clear to wait 12 months.

How is one to know who to believe, this is the hardest thing to understand. It may sound like I take it personal, but that is not the case. I would just like to know what filter method members are using to see if I can improve on what I have. And what MICRO-ALGE is being used other then cheato?

Thanks

Kevin

Yeah it's tough to know who's right and who's wrong. But I'd err on the side of caution. I mean - we're plucking (in some cases) these animals from the wild and are trying to put them into a home which mimics their own. But imagine if you were the one being placed in an aquarium - I'd like to know the alien who set it up has waited for things to settle to give me a better chance at life :)

And you are still confusing micro and macro. Micro means small, macro means large - generally speaking. The micro algae you won't be able to see definite structure (think the diatom bloom you had - that was small) comapred to chaeto is which is a macro algae - you can see it's structure.