How often do you feed your Anthias?

H20cooled

Yeah that was the one that I was also reading. It seems like there was a mixed opinion on feeding. I'm looking for fish for my new tank and I was wanting to get a couple of them but it would be hard for me to feed them twice a day.

Rich

Not to mention the bio load they put on a tank. I think most success with this genus is in large tanks that can absord this amount of food, as they seem to do better in groups.

There are few things more impressive than an Anthias harem with a proud male.

I think 2 times a day is a minimum. I had a small group of 3 lyretail (the "yellow" variety) and they required a bunch of food to stay in a healthy state of tune.

You are going to a 120, right? This should be sufficient to support them, and their waste/requirements seem to benefit most low nutrient systems. I would do it, Rich. Given your past success, it's likely a smart addition to your system. What variety?

Yeah the actual tank will be 130G, I would love to have a small group of the disbar anthias. I know that I can handle the bio load the skimmer is more then enough for the tank size. The problem is I'm not sure I can give them the amount of feedings they need.

Maybe consider wake up and feed, and do your normal feeding in the afternoon?

I am considering this, Im just half awake in the morning, and the lights will still be off. Not sure how well they would take to it.

For me, both at home and at the store, I feed first thing in the morning cyclop-eeze, and at night I feed a mixture of meaty foods. This has seemed to work out quite well. I've had more "jumpers" (prior to putting up some egg crate) than death by starvation. My Dispars at home have been doing quite well for months. I hope to continue enjoying they swim mid tank for a very long time.

hope this helps.

I was hoping to hear from you Lise.

The only problem is like Nyles said, my lights are off in the AM so if the fish aren't out they won't feed. But I did notice this morning that the 2 Anthias I have in my softy tank were out when the lights were off and there was light coming in from the window. So, I guess I could do the samething in the new tank with the Dispars when I get them.

Rich

I have been using the Reef Chili (freeze dried zoo / phyto) in the morning do to the fact what LPS I have are all open in the morning, not during the reg feeding.

The other fish have caugh on, and I have to feed it a little on the heavy side or the food is robbed from the LPS. But in less than a month I am already experiencing splits from the change in feeding schedule.