Crocea clam not expanding

snookie986

I noticed that my clam is acting weird. his mantle is pulled all the way inside his shell. there aren't any problems with any of the other inhabitants. although my condylactis anemone did disappear about a week and a half ago. I just did a 50% water change yesterday. the clam's mantle is still a bright blue. any ideas? thanks

I would give him a good inspection and look for parasites, look around the base of the clam and clean him up with a toothbrush if needed, check your levels including cal, alk, and mag, and make sure your ph is not swinging dramatically. Also make sure none of your fish are nipping on his mantle. Other than that, just watch and see if you get any clues.

I took him out to smell when he wasn't reacting that was the only time ever that he'd been out of water. he was definitely dead. i think the anemone did strike back. ammonia was between 0.0 and 0.25 ppm. i think the phosphates spiked, because i noticed a lot of red algae pop up. nitrates and nitrites are undetectable. I'm getting a phos reactor in the next week so hopefully that'll help.