Whole Foods says NO to live lobsters

Chief

Whole Foods stops selling live lobsters

AUSTIN, Texas - Customers craving fresh crustaceans will have to look beyond Whole Foods Market Inc. after the natural-foods grocery chain decided Thursday to stop selling live lobsters and crabs on the grounds that it's inhumane.

The Austin-based grocer spent seven months studying the sale of live lobsters from ship to supermarket aisle, trying to determine whether the creatures suffer along the way.

In some stores, they experimented with ``lobster condos,'' filling tanks with stacks of large pipes the critters can crawl inside. And they moved the tanks behind seafood counters and away from children's tapping fingers.

Ultimately, Whole Foods management decided to immediately stop selling live lobsters and soft-shell crabs, saying they could not ensure the creatures are treated with respect and compassion.

I think this is a step in the right direction.

Jay

Whole foods is like the Super Wal-mart of "healthy living stores". I deal with the one here in Portland daily and they want to be like New Seasons and small places like that, but do a poor job of it. Just a couple of years ago they jumped on the "fair trade" band wagon, which, if you don't know, is products from third world countries produced by workers who make a "living wage". Well, as soon as that fad passed, they no longer carry fair trade items. Curious. In my humble opinion.