Mh Bulbs

pantherguy30

In general and just for starters there are 4 main groups of in the kelvin range.

1- 6.5k very very yellow and most use it to grow macroalgeas in refugiums

2- 10k a yellow bulb that gives good growth but alot don't like the color and use actinic 03 supplementation with them

3- 12-15k not as yellow and some say somewhat blue, a middle of the road bulb for color, many love some of them

4- 20k bulbs a blue bulb some say to blue and use white actinic bulbs to balance them out, brings out good coral colors

Alot will depend on what you like visually. There are as many selections as there are reefers it seems.

SE bulbs = a bulb with a single socket just like a typical light bulb.

DE bulbs = a bulb that snaps into a 'cradle' kinda like the newer bulbs used in cars turnsignals and such. These bulbs must have a glass cover as they send out UV rays. (a bad thing for corals and others)

Now that is very basic. MHs come in 150w, 175w, 250w and 400w bulbs. Along with smaller sizes for nano tanks.

I would say you need to look into buying 250w or 400w bulbs/ballasts for your two foot deep tank. That is since you are wanting to do sps' and clams.

What else can you tell us about your tank. Anything might help us turn you down the 'right' road.

HTH

Most cubes in the range your looking (2' sq) for hard corals are running 250 watt MH bulbs, and those with the cash would run supplemental Actinic light (t-5) with it for corals health, this would be best done with a pendant that contains both lights. Just a thought. If your going to run 400w be prepaired to have to purchase a chiller or get very creative with your cooling techniques.

for a 60 cube i really like a pendant like this one: http://www.lumenarclighting.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LA3-Stealth-SE-mini with a 400 w bulb in it or something like this http://www.pfolighting.com/AquariumPgFolder/AqJepgFiles90402/HFP8SIL.jpg

the first is a great pendant from what i have seen or if you are going open to the second will look good and also allow for actinic supplementation. I have just purchased the second option used to put over my 29g biocube.

Was this the tank that was for a previous customer that couldn't take that James has almost finished or was this one that you ordered?

I talked to him about a specific cube today, but it sounded like it was pretty much spoken for.

I'm just curious cause if his friend didn't want it I wanted to take it home. If that's now your tank it's siiick!

Eh... I have to say I'm quite depressed, I was really hoping you weren't going to buy it!

Guess I'll have to give James a call tomorrow and figure out exactly what its going to cost to build another one cause I need a tank like yesterday!

Congrats, that's and absolutely beautiful tank. James is an awesome guy and his work is second to none!

Make sure you you post some pics of the build!

No worries, I just sold my tank and I'm trying to avoid having to buy a nano to house my livestock. I ultimately want a cube and fell in love with yours when I saw it in person.

I should of called James on Monday like I had planned... lol

As far as the names, its like your rank that comes from how many posts etc...

I look forward to seeing that tank stocked up and running!

Do they make a 2' maristar combo light anymore? I saw a guy on the classified thread selling one. I need a 2' light set up and this one looked good. I just couldnt find any info on that size hood. Can you guys recomend something for me to go with?

That set up you are talking about is nice. I looked at it today but is big for what I am setting up.

Also nice avatar is it a male or a female? I have one to but he is real leg happyDOH! Ask Arson about that one. Here is a pic of him. Kind of like Christmas Vacation has a little bit of leg hound in him(laugh)

post-523-141867738344_thumb.jpg

the odyssea fixture from www.aquatraders.com looks promising. the 24" w/ a 250w HQI and 2 actinic PC's is like 178 shipped. I have heard they fixed thier issues with hot ballasts but now the ballasts are under powered and only give out like 180w. Lots of people have bought this and replacedthe ballast with a nice brand of ballast such as an icecap or the like and had a great fixture for under $300 bucks. plus it comes with the bulbs. I would have gone this route but got a great deal on a pendant (thanks again spectra) and i needed something to hang over the tank.

I actually had the older style of this in the 175w version running over one of my tanks for a while and it worked pretty well. I will say that it was kinda noisy and the actinics that it came with seems to be just a blueish bulb and not so much that actinic look. never had any problems with heat from the ballast on this version. My roommate actually still uses it over his nano cube and it works excellent for him. It has gotten noisier as time has gone on and I think the fans might need to be replaced.

Garrett

Do they make a 2' maristar combo light anymore? I saw a guy on the classified thread selling one. I need a 2' light set up and this one looked good. I just couldnt find any info on that size hood. Can you guys recomend something for me to go with?

Pantherguy, they dont make the 2' maristar anymore, but I bought the last few that Sunlight Supply had. I have 2 left.

Im working on making some starfire 2' cubes in the near future, so Ill be keeping one of the maristars for that tank. Ill have one other maristar for sale. Im selling them for $200