aquacontroller jr.

Ron Popeil

Nope, not really needed, just figure out what you want it to do and set it up.

Mine controls on the DC8 as follows

1-main lights (timed and programmed to shut off on an overheat)

2-Actinics (timed)

3-Kalk stir (programmed to ph and timed for stir)

4-refugium (timed)

5-return pump and heaters (this is set so I hit the quick fed and it shuts them down for 12 minutes)

6-Cooling fans (single large fan programmed to a temp setting and timed to cool t-5 lights)

7-Overheat fans (two larger fans programmed to a temp setting)

8-co2 (ph controlled)

Basically I use it to monitor temp but not control temp because I love my ranco temp controller, and I use it to control timers and control ph with kalk. This unit eliminated my temp control (I need to take it off) and it removed my coralife dual timer. this has added some redundancy and reduced risk of a tank fault. I would not run a tank without one again due to the programmability to do what you would do in case of an emergency, as with the cooling timers and such as specified above. I need to get in there and redo some things but overall a great piece. It has enabled me to rest easier and my wife does not call my office every other day wanting to know what to do, the controller does it and tells on screen whats happening. Once you figure out the programing its simple, a little confusing at first but a breeze after you get familiar.

Just make sure you calibrate your probe every month, or like me bi-monthly. Let me know how your http service works if you decide to use it, I was thinking about it but the PC at my place is way to far away. Plus I really don't need access. If you have programming questions after your read the manual don't be afraid to ask.

Love my AC Jr. I think the pH probe is more accurate than my Pinpoint pH monitor. Right now i'm just using it to keep an eye on the tank since kalk is keeping up with my alk/calcium needs.

For the temp controller alone i'd buy this controller. It automates everything. Its the best piece of equipment i've bought for my tank.

Just let me know if I can be of any help setting it up Jordan.

I don't have the Neptune brand, but have to agree that a controller was the best piece of equipment for the tank I ever bought.

It automates lighting (incl. moonlight and sunrise cycles), heating/cooling, my Tunze pump settings (offers more possibilities than the Tunze multi controller), ATO, pH control and could do a lot more if I had the money to add another power bar and expand the unit for more probes etc.

so controller is up and checking my pH and temperature. i have a box full of X10 things i need to hook up today. first thing i want to do:

- drill hole in the top of my reactor and insert probe inside. and use this to check my effluent pH, and control it.

run this concurrently with a regular pH monitor to check tank pH.

then ill plug in the X10 modules to everything i want to be turned on and off by the ACjr.

- has anyone used LED moonlights hooked up to the ACjr and then run with the moonlight program stuff?

- is it as simple as it looks to hook up the x10 stuff, and then use the controller to recognize them?

- anyone here have theirs hooked up to their macintosh?

more questions will come. thanks for your help!

yes I have a few setup that way, just don't exceed the amd draw for the outlet. Also for my cooling fans I had to do an interesting program.

I wanted them to run all the time if the heat got to high and I needed them to just run for 1 min per 15 minutes to cool the lamps. To do that I needed to program two functions (like lt1, ht1, ph1, klk) to a single dc outlet. if you need to do anything like that let me know and I can be specific.

ok. so i finished my electrical organizing.

i have a single power strip dedicated to things i want to use with the controller. these have their respective X10 plugs in and are ready to be activated. but id be lying if i said using the controller to try to program all this wasnt very intimidating.

this is what i want my controller to operate, and how.

- halides 1 and 2: turn on at 5pm off at 12am

- fans 1 and 2: come on when the temperature reaches 81 F, stay on til temperature drops

- heater: turn on when temperature drops below 78, turn off when temperature reaches 81

- solenoid: i dont really know what i want it to do with my calcium reactor yet, suggestions?

- moonlights: moon cycle, this is possible, right?

as for the X10 stuff, theres one module with what looks like a phone jack. i plug this into an outlet, and then into my controller...correct?

i use a mac, which has turned out to be not compatible with my controller. however, my roommate has a PC laptop. could i load aquanotes onto that, set up my programming, and then...use the controller?

Did you read the manual yet? After I read it all this was simple... you need to attach names to your devices first then associate function to the name. you should go through the manual first, even the calcium reactor setup should be in there. Also heaters are in there.

mine for heat are:

IF TEMP > 78

THEN HOT = ON

IF TEMP < 78.5

THEN HOT = OFF

IF TEMP < 82

THEN LT1 = OFF (this shuts off lights on overheat)

IF TEMP < 80

THEN FAN = ON

IF TEMP > 79.5

THEN FAN = OFF

For calcium reactor:

IF PH < 6.90

THEN C02 = ON

IF PH > 6.70

THEN CO2 = OFF

for lights

IF TIME < 13:00

THEN LT1 = ON

IF TIME < 22:00

THEN LT1 = OFF

IF TIME < 13:30

THEN LT2 = ON

IF TIME < 21:30

THE LT2 = OFF

to kick on refugium:

IF LT2 OFF

THEN REF ON

keep in mind you can also have more than one "name" associated to a device/plug. So if you need the device to multiple things and they conflict you can use more than one name for an outlet. I do this for my cooling fans, so they only run during lights on and the run one minute per 15 minute intervals to save electricity.

ok, you were right. not that challenging. here are my programs.

LIGHTS

if time > 1700 LT 1 ON

if time > 0000 LT 1 OFF

(LT2 has the same command)

if temp > 84.5 LT1 OFF

if temp > 85.0 LT2 OFF

FANS

if temp > 80 FAN ON

if temp < 80 FAN OFF

HEATER

if temp < 79 HEATER ON

if temp > 80 HEATER OFF

how does that look? i dont have my CO2 stuff figured out yet, so i dont have that set up.

im going to try to run a moonlight LED on the controller. when i go to the moonlight program it states:

if Mon 020/030 then MON ON

what does that mean? do i do an off program? what do the 020/030 numbers mean?

Moonlight time, you know, the 30 lunar times zones specified.....no, I'm full of horse puky, haven't a clue but couldn't resist.

you need a gap between these for fluctuation:

FANS

if temp > 80 FAN ON

if temp < 80 FAN OFF

Keep in mind the first one triggers the on setting and the second TRIGGERS the off setting. I would allow at least .5 degree offset.

IF TEMP < 80

THEN FAN = ON

IF TEMP > 79.5

THEN FAN = OFF

you would also want to ease up your heater too so there is some fluctuation.

you had"

HEATER

if temp < 79 HEATER ON

if temp > 80 HEATER OFF

I would do:

HEATER

if temp < 78.5 HEATER ON

if temp > 79.5 HEATER OFF

your fan kicks on at 80 so you would be in an infinite loop of heating to 80 then cooling. Leave some room for the tank to fluctuate, see my programming above I have left 1.5 degrees for the tank to fluctuate from where the heat turns OFF and the fans turn ON.