converting 135 glass to 100 gallon acrylic...need plumbing help...calling all experts

Guest Mbeef61

Guest Mbeef61

im moving into an apartment and im converting my 135 glass sps reef to a 100 gallon acrylic. right now the 135 (72x18x24) uses 2 hang on the back overflows...and a mag 12 for sump to tank flow.

the tank im getting is 100 gallon acrylic (60x18x20.5). im not that familiar with drilling tanks but i know the basic concepts. what i want to know is where to drill the holes for the overflows and how many...and what size? i would prefer to use the mag 12 or some external comparable for sump to tank movement. also, i want to incorporate a closed loop...maybe with a sequence dart? does that sound about right? where should i drill this plumbing?

any help or suggestions would be great. also diagrams are aweome...thanks in advance.

oh also ...the sump is a 33 gallon aga (48x12x13)?

Here is a pic of the diagram I used for my 8 foot 240 gallon tank.

ClosedLoop.jpg

Drilling bulkheads are easy.

DSCN3973.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions. This was my first time drilling acrylic. I didn't have any problems. Just go slow. Clean your hole saw as it gets clogged with acrylic shavings. Drill halfway through, and switch sides. This will reduce the possibility of a crack when completing the cut/hole. If I can do it, anybody can.

Jay

Guest Mbeef61

thanks for the help so far...another question/concern i have is with the design of the overflow inside the tank...i think i wanna drill the overflows towards the top...what do you all use to cover those? i know some people just use a screen over them...but i would more like some sort of prefilter box like the ones i have for my glass tank now...even better would be some sort of adjustable one to fluctuate water lines...any suggestions?

I have internal screens on my overflows.

DSCN3978.jpg

What I really wanted was a coast to coast overflow. The internal screens are kind of a bother. I have had to clean them about every week, but that was due to a hair algea problem. The hair algea is almost gone, so we will see how long it is between cleanings now. Coraline will also plug the holes in the screens, but a vinegar bath with fix that.

Jay

Guest Mbeef61

not familar with what that is but from what i take it from the name its an over flow that goes all the way across the tank? any pics or links to this style? i like how the durso style standpipe usually never fail...but i hate how it takes up aquascaping space...as for the screens that was my first thought when thinking of ideas...the complaint i have heard most is they clog...however i dont have anything to clog it up...i almost wish i could have some hair algae to feed the tang! lol just kidding...coraline however i do think could have an affect...but like you said VINEGAR!

do you have any links to those coast to coast style?

wheres best to get those screens if i go that way? LFS or online?

also....would 2-1.5'' intakes t-ed into a 2 inch pipe be better for the sequence dart than just 1-2'' intake? to kind of spread the suction out

? also...for those with darts? whats best for returns on a 60'' tank? 3 or 4? im thinkin maybe 2 sea swirls if i can afford.

not familar with what that is but from what i take it from the name its an over flow that goes all the way across the tank? any pics or links to this style?

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72409&highlight=coast+overflow

wheres best to get those screens if i go that way? LFS or online?

Portland stores Waves, and Upscales I believe

Salem store Advanced Aquarium

Eugene store Liquid Sunshine

also....would 2-1.5'' intakes t-ed into a 2 inch pipe be better for the sequence dart than just 1-2'' intake? to kind of spread the suction out?

2 intakes - more room for error

also...for those with darts? whats best for returns on a 60'' tank? 3 or 4? im thinkin maybe 2 sea swirls if i can afford.

I would think 4. I don't know how much sea swirls are but you might look into an Oceans Motions 4-way.

http://www.oceansmotions.com

Jay