Sea star

SuncrestReef

Kill it, Kill it quick.

Although many people say they have these and they don't bother anything in your tank... I too was in that boat, until they DID start bothering corals.   
I recently emptied my tank in prep for an upgrade (moved everything to the new fish room frag tanks) and found these starfish on corals in concerning locations.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Kill it, Kill it quick.

Although many people say they have these and they don't bother anything in your tank... I too was in that boat, until they DID start bothering corals.   
I recently emptied my tank in prep for an upgrade (moved everything to the new fish room frag tanks) and found these starfish on corals in concerning locations.

I see them most frequently at night on the glass.  Tonight I removed 14 of them.

9 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

I see them most frequently at night on the glass.  Tonight I removed 14 of them.

Ahh, double digit days.   I agree, I find them with the lights out.   

First thing in the morning, I'd have 6-10 visible on the glass.  easy pickings.  then go hunting with a flash light on the rocks

At one point, I was able to pull 30-50 out Per Day - for a week straight.  That's when I got the shrimp.  Very effective at hunting the stars.  Returned them in about 30 days so they wouldn't starve.   Stayed Star Free for about 6-8 months.    And then... Population started growing again.

Guess I should have kept the shrimp, and been manually feeding them so they didn't starve.